Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been breeding my biggest (of my best ones) and it seems to me that each generation is getting smaller. I only have two generations (my first breeders and their oldest pups. Another litter from the best of te first litter is due in a week) but it still shows a good difference. Any suggestions on getting the lines to be bigger?

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Outcross to a bigger mousie; other than that, you might try enriching the diet, although there can be problems with that too. If the doe is small, she might not carry litters of larger babies well.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If the generations are getting smaller, that's a clue that something isn't quite right.

What are you feeding them?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm feeding them food I buy from pet stores, but I give pregnant or nursing mothers rice amd pieces of milkbones. I let the babies ween onto solid food off slowly and soften the food when they start eating dry food. I also let the babies have pieces of milkbones when they are weening on occasion. I am outcrossing.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
How heavily are you culling?

You need to be culling down to 5-6 at most for strong, healthy babies. I've found that culling down to 3-4 is often a better number in terms of size and robustness.

If you don't cull your litters heavily enough, the babies will live, but they may be smaller and more prone to sickness later in life, as you're seeing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do cull down to 6. Though I may cull to five in the upcoming litters. Do any of you know some signs of a mouse going into labor, besides bleeding from the uterus?

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I've noticed its different in my girls really... there is no one sure sign I can pin down (except for obviously, them popping babies out LOL)
I've noticed a few of them start 'sparking' (The giddy jumping around and freezing thing that mice do), Some of them seem to obsessively wash, especially the nether regions. A couple of my girls, and one inparticular (Cos I was there was she started giving birth) I could see the contractions happening.
Some of my girls don't noticably behave any different at all really. I think its a very quick process all together and you are very lucky if you catch it happening!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts