Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking over mice genetics, and I'm trying to sort things out! Please help me fifure out the difference between lilac and silver mice, and what does a champagne look like? Please post pictures to show me the differences. I know the genotypes of what they are, but I wouldn't recognize one if it bit me on the nose. So post as many pics and descriptions as you can!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
This is how I remember:

Pink Eyed black=Dove
Pink Eyed Blue= Silver
Pink Eyed chocolate=champagne
Chocolate X Blue=Lilac(Diluted Chocolate)

Lilac:

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I had an agouti doe who, with a beige buck, made a pink eyed lilac. Does that mean one of them carries blue, one carries chocolate?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or maybe the baby was really a dove? It was the same color as the mouse above, but had pink eyes.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Most of the people I know that breed silvers, and the silvers I have (I don't breed purposely for them, they are just there at the moment lol) are actually dove based, not blue based.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
And many of the champagnes are lilac-based, not (just) chocolate-based.

There are large differences in color between pet store-derived animals and show animals, in that regard.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that's the problem, mine's all pet store stock, so you have such lovely mice... that look nothing like mine. :lol:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Yeah, I often find that people are saying the same thing and mean the same thing genetically but while two mice may have identical alleles that make both champagne, the one from the pet store will look totally different from the one from a show bench, even though both are technically champagnes! :p

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MouseBreeder said:
Different shades of silver:

Cham (dark) and dove:

Champagne:
Okay, so the two more tan/yellowish ones are champagnes? Then possibly one from the pet store might be even more bright and orangy? I saw a mouse that *might* be a champagne in the store, but I thought that it's nose and bum looked a little darker, almost like a siamese. Is this possible in this coat color? Does that mean that it oculd be a champagne, but maybe it is also cch/cch? Or some form of */cch?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And I know the mouse wasn't an argente, I can recognize those. I also saw a grey ticked mouse, can anyone post a lilac agouti to see if it looks similar? Thanks

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Autumn2005 said:
Okay, so the two more tan/yellowish ones are champagnes?
Yes. Champagnes are (supposed to be) the color of...champagne.

Then possibly one from the pet store might be even more bright and orangy?
I saw a mouse that *might* be a champagne in the store, but I thought that it's nose and bum looked a little darker, almost like a siamese. Is this possible in this coat color? Does that mean that it oculd be a champagne, but maybe it is also cch/cch? Or some form of */cch?
No. cch/cch is chinchilla. I think you mean ch/ch, which is siamese and ch/c which is himalayan. However, it's still nearly impossible to have a mouse who is a/a b/b ch/ch p/p (champagne and himalayan at the same time) because the C- and P-loci are linked and a mouse who did happen to be both would be washed out to pure white (PEW).

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oops, sorry, thanks for correcting me, Jack! That's what I meant, although I did see a chinchilla mouse there as well. I feel a headache coming on...

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You're very welcome. It's confusing because the only thing that separates cch/cch and ch/ch (on paper) is one little "c!" You wouldn't be the first or last to confuse them. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts