Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a post about my lovely little Fable's colors. When I put her back in the cage after taking pictures she went over to their wheel like always. I don't know if any one else's mice do this but mine like to perch on the yellow part of the stand. This is fine unless another mouse is running on it.

And of course Willow was running away on the wheel which created a perfect place for tiny mouse fingers to get pinched.

I saw the entire thing happen and I had to get Fable's finger unstuck. She was just like 'dangling' from that hand/finger. (All of this happened in a total of 15-20 seconds)
She was bleeding from the hand but that lasted less than a minute. I'm mostly worried that she twisted it. Many pictures below.

She walks on it fine but when she's still she lifts it up.

It's the hand with her fingers closer together and it's a little redder. The redness has gone away now.

Relieved that she can pick things up with it

I took the wheel out and now I'm on the hunt for another 'safe wheel.' What do y'all use?

· Registered
408 Posts
That sucks, sorry for Fable! I've never even heard of that happening, good to know. I use the regular wire mesh wheels, not the ones with bars across because they cause broken limbs, bumblefoot and such but the meshed ones are really good. They need less cleaning as waste falls through, they're cheap and don't cause issues for mice like they do with hamsters since mice don't constantly run on them. They're squeaky so using some kind of oil or even vasoline on the bolt part rectifies that. Flying saucers also work really well, very quiet unlike the mesh wheels and gives them another way to run. Carolina Storm wheels and Silent Runner wheels such as the ones found on Exotic Nutrition work too, though they're pricey and kind of big. I have the Exotic Nutrition brand from when I had a syrian hamster. My mice are able to run on it just fine.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to try a flying saucer today and see how that goes. I think I read it's like 50/50 if they use them. I don't know if this will make since but wire wheels worry me because of the straight across 'spoke' on each side. Does your have that? Does it not make it harder to enter and exit? Or like stuff would get pinched where it attaches to the stand?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lake Mousery said:
Random accident. She will be fine.

My personal experience: I have used wired wheels with thousands of mice for over 5 years. Only one accident occurred.
Like this one?

I looked at some like this today but I think the little holes are bigger than their feet (they're 6 ish weeks old).

· Registered
445 Posts
Thank you for the input and link Cheshire Gleam.

Yes Freckles24, I use the same wheel. However, I recommend using the larger wheels that are for rats and chinchillas.

Spinal strain on the vertebrates and tail is IMO a greater concern than accidental injury. In my experience, small wheels have caused the mice to bend their tails and backs in unnatural positions; resulting in motor and skeletal dysfunction. I dislike saucers because mice that frequently run on them may favor one direction and develop a equilibrium disorder.

Wheels that are solid surfaces (not wired) accumulate feces and debris. I recommend cleaning them often.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lake Mousery said:
Thank you for the input and link Cheshire Gleam.

Yes Freckles24, I use the same wheel. However, I recommend using the larger wheels that are for rats and chinchillas.

Spinal strain on the vertebrates and tail is IMO a greater concern than accidental injury. In my experience, small wheels have caused the mice to bend their tails and backs in unnatural positions; resulting in motor and skeletal dysfunction. I dislike saucers because mice that frequently run on them may favor one direction and develop a equilibrium disorder.

Wheels that are solid surfaces (not wired) accumulate feces and debris. I recommend cleaning them often.
Not that size or cleanliness was my problem but thank you for your opinions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.