Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So! You've all met (at least, seen pictures and seen me post) Pickle, Scottie and Ralf. Well, Scottie took a turn for the worst and we sadly lost her, leaving us with Pickle and Ralf. Having all three (and now two) together since we got them, we've had no babies from the girls (good thing in Scotties case) and so I am thinking of rehoming them as pets only and starting afresh.

Pickle still intrigues me but I have a happily breeding mice from the same lines as her, so losing her herself, although sad because she is lovely, isn't going to mean I lose that.

I'll keep the mice from the same lines and my feeder breeders but this has set me back in the sense that although I do breed for feeders, my only worries there are health (all aspects). And the reason I got new mice was so that I broadened my knowledge of genetics in colours and varieties and enjoyed them as pets too.

So! Not to be discouraged.. I will be getting new mice. I just don't know what I want. At the moment I have the options of several varieties. Blues, Pearls, Chocolates, various markings and the like. I just can't choose between them. They are all absolutely gorgeous and I'd take several of each if I could lol but I need to be sensible so having the advice from you guys would be useful. I need a sensible, mentorish voice instead of my "You have room for them all, go for it!" voice.

What would you all suggest I do? I know technically, I should get the ones I like the most and see where I can start improving. But they really are all gorgeous and I really would take them all, I don't think I could choose which are my "favorites", which I know some of you could understand.

I can sort out a full list of what I could have later this evening. But from a sensible point of view, what would you all suggest? As a project to learn and really experience the colour and variety breeding side (and not just freeders), where should I start with totally new mice?

Sorry, it's a bit long and might be in the wrong place but you know what it is like, if a question isn't really explained, it gets questions asked about it instead of answers hehe, so there we go.

Look forward to hearing from all you lovelies x

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heya and thank you for that!

I'm quite lucky in the I know a few locals who breed mice, I live in Scotland so getting around to shows and the like isn't really do-able but as I said to my other half last night, I'd still like to breed show quality mice. I like the idea of working towards a goal. Even if it took years.. I'm one of those types lol. My partner has fallen in love with some, so I think he is getting them, which leaves me to get what I like. I can dabble in his lot (as he just wants them to play with) and put the extra effort into my own.. I just dunno!

I'm visiting a breeder on Sunday, so maybe I will just take lots of pictures, post them up and ask opinions and make a decision then. They aren't far away so I can go back for mice any time

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol windy.. thank you for that :p x

Kallan has just secured one side of breeding, I'll be getting some Siamese on Tuesday - Oh yeah!!! I am SOOOOOOO excited as I've wanted Siamese for like... ever.

I'll still be visiting the other breeder on Sunday though.. so I guess I'll keep you all posted heh...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.