Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a minimum age for showing mice? ie rabbits must be 12 weeks in a BRC show.
Is there a minimum age for rehoming again 8 weeks rabbits BRC.
Just wanted to check.
I seperated babies at 4 calendar weeks as I has been advised so that part is done.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Showing age depends on how well developed the mouse is, there is no point showing a small mouse that looks really young as it will be disqualified. I reckon 6 weeks minimum.

I seperate males at 4 weeks but generally leave the females with the mother for longer. I dont see why babies cant be rehomed at 5 weeks. They are weaned at 5 weeks and if your seperating at 4 weeks any health issues regaridng them being able to find and digest solid food will be apparent, it means you have less chance of selling someone sick or dying mice.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If you have a look at your rules handbook (sent to NMC members) a mouse must be old enough to travel without its mother in order to be exhibited. Technically this could mean 4 weeks (weaning age) but I don't show mice under five weeks myself - before then they probably don't have much chance of winning anyway. The 'best' age to show a u/8 may depend on the variety. For example with siamese you need the points to be as dark as possible, so waiting a bit longer may be better, whereas with colours that change as the mouse ages you may show it in the u/8 class and do well, but as an adult that mouse will be too dark. Some are better when younger e.g. astrex, as the curls 'grow out' the older they get.

As for sending mice you're not keeping to new homes, minimum of 4 weeks (weaning) but as Ian says, 5 weeks is better for does as they benefit from staying with their mother a little longer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for all the info, I have not joined the NMC yet but do mean to. I have advertised the bucks but had no intentions of putting to new homes before they had been off mum at least a week but just wanted to double check.
Thanks again x

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another quick question, how are the age classes broken down in shows? ie rabbit is under 5 months and adult.
so much to learn :D Really gotta get my NMC membership organised.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
unicorn said:
Another quick question, how are the age classes broken down in shows? ie rabbit is under 5 months and adult.
so much to learn :D Really gotta get my NMC membership organised.
For mice they have the two age classes per colour/variety they are U/8 meaning under 8 weeks and then the Adult class.

EDIT - lol, beat me too it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts