Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a mouse who was sold to me as male so i put it with my other, turns out it was a female :? about 4 or 5 weeks later i herd squeeks and discovered two young mice probably a week or two old ( dont know how i didnt notice them before lol) anyway i took the male out but he seems to have made her pregnant again and today she gave she gave birth to four pups, her other two young mice are still with her and are about 3 weeks old but not sure, they are eating food and drinking water so should i take them out? i have two 4 week olds that are on theyre own i can put them with or do they still need the mothers milk at this age? thankyou.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
If they're eating food, and drinking water, they're probably a lot older than 3 weeks. You can probably take them out, as long as they aren't still nursing.

I hope you separated the male and female mice by now.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You should check the genders of all the young babies because mice can breed as early as 4 or 5 weeks of age. The mother and sisters can easily get pregnant by the son/brother.

If both of the older babies are female you can leave them in with their mother as long as they are allowing the younger babies to nurse. They will often help the mom to keep babies warm when she leaves the nest and such. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
if the 2 older ones are boys they will need to be taken out but if they are girls you can leave them in they will help the mum with the new babies and if the mum is as tired as u say she will build up her strength faster if there is someone els looking after the babies as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they seem like little girls to me but ill keep my eye on them incase, i did take them out and they were okay but would rather keep them together as im keeping these two theyre gorgous lol, when i returned them to the mum seemed almost relieved and really happy to see them again :)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Just for future reference, if you had bought a buck and put it in with your other buck, you could have had a very bad result... it is likely they would have fought, injuring and possibly killing each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they were together in the shop and got on well, i went back to get it some company. i dont seem to have any problems introducing bucks together normally

1 - 8 of 8 Posts