Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use white wood shavings for my rabbits and hamsters, but have read that a lot of people reccomend other alternatives... are there any major draw backs to shavings or is it just dust content? we have a great suppliers (wouldnt have anything less for the rex lol) its virtually dust free and doesnt stain when wet... just wondering what the other alternatives are... ideally i'd like to be able to use the same as the buns... as storing two bales would be an issue

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It depends on the kind of shavings. Pine and cedar cause harm over the long-run because of the phenols they release (Google "pine and cedar toxicity" and you will see lots of results). Aspen shavings are fine because they don't contain phenols.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I use hemp bedding called Hempcore, I have used normal shavings and bedmax in the past (Bedmax was great! Then I found out that it was pine =o( )

The hemp bedding definately absorbs moisture much better (Which is why i use it), but personally i don't think it makes the smell any better, in fact, sometimes I think its worse.

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Hmm... and now I have just been told that Bedmax should be safe because its kiln dried??

Admittedly I liked it much better than the hempcore for my bigger cages/colonies, and I have never had any of the animals get sick or chesty at all while on it and I used it for a good 3 months.

I don't know, maybe i'll try it again... bit nerve racking though! lol

Willow xx

·
Registered
687 Posts
WillowDragon said:
Hmm... and now I have just been told that Bedmax should be safe because its kiln dried??

Admittedly I liked it much better than the hempcore for my bigger cages/colonies, and I have never had any of the animals get sick or chesty at all while on it and I used it for a good 3 months.

I don't know, maybe i'll try it again... bit nerve racking though! lol

Willow xx
yep bed max should be safe .. it is kiln dryed and is recomended for rats so should be fine for mice as well.. I use it for my rats but i still prefure normal white shavings for my mice, I have tryed everything else with the mice but i always end up going back to good quality shavings for horses.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts