Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 3 girls that we got from the pet store as pets for my son. They had a litter each soon after we got them. I read the sticky of how to sex the pinkies but had one question. I can't really tell a difference in the genitals but am I correct in assuming that if there are no nipples them they would be boys? If so it looks like the entire litter are boys. Is that possible? The litter is one week old today. The other litter is one day old today and I haven't messed with them. From what I can tell she may have 13 pups. Actually I don't know what baby mice are called but pup sounds cute.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yes you are right if no nipples then they are boys but you can not tell this till the coat has come through properly, keep checking them and you should be able to tell. People call baby mice, Pups, Pinkies, Kittens, so call them what you feel happy with calling them.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Hey Darla, it is possible for a whole litter to be boys,

As AngelMouse has said its always best to keep checking the mice for nipples. The way we find it easiest to sex them is to look at the gap between the genitals. If there is quite a large gap then they will be bucks if there is a small gap then they will be does.

As they grow older you will soon notice the boys. If you are unsure you could try to find a breeder near to you that you could visit and they could double check for you and also show you the best way to sex mice. I have to admit i find it better talking to someone rather than looking at photo's.

Note to any other users: If you have any close up photo's that we could add to our existing sexing pinkies topic that would be brill, just pm me if you have.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I don't believe we have breeders here. Mice aren't as popular here as other pets. The pet shop in my town has mice shipped to her. Most of the mice she gets are white and destined to be dinner for something. I did find these cute little mice one day and she knew I would love them, so we brought them home. Today upon further inspection the 3 girl I had was not a girl at all. Not sure if he is the father or not, but it does seem curious that many of the pups are black like he is. Another odd but compassionate thing he does is try to nurse all of the pups, is that the norm? I see him licking them all the time, very good dad I say.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't mean to barge in like this, with nothing useful to add!
But if the male is still in with the pups, I'm guessing someone should say something about the possibility of another pregnancy? ^^;

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suppose it's too late now as he has been with them all along. He does help with the pups and is keen on grooming the mums and pups alike. I just assumed he was a she as he didn't show like a boy when I got him and he was in the same tank. When the pups are a bit bigger I will put all the males separate for now and take what comes our way. Thanks for the suggestion too.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
A bit off topic here but i just thought id add that of breeders choose to breed like this without removing bucks at all. I know of quite a few breeders that do and also some very successful show breeders that also breed like this.

But Effy you are right it is very possible that the doe could be pregnant again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts