Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heya :)
ive recently gained a beautiful satin buck ( thanks micheal x ) that i would like to put to a few of my self does in the next few weeks or so, and i was wondering when some of the bubs would develop their satin, does it show as soon as their fur comes through or is there a way of telling earlier on? x

·
Registered
584 Posts
I am pretty sure satin is recessive, so unless your self does carry it, all you will get this time round is carriers. Keep does and put back to the satin buck to get satin and non satin in the subsequent generation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my first litter and a few of the pups are satin. For me it was a big surprise, because I don't know that the doe is carrying satin (I knew that the buck is carrying satin, because his mother was satin).

a few pics:

16.09.2009 7 days old (the more pinkish ones on the right, are the satins ;) )

today 18.09.2009 9 days old

I'm just not sure if the black on is satin too. :?:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not sure if someone more experienced knows if they are like rats and you can tell by the whiskers very early on?

·
Registered
687 Posts
with mice you cant tell with the whiskers if they are satin or not like you can with rats.
Also i have found that with most baby mice they all look quite satin when young with their new coats and the dark ones are the hardest to tell but if you look at there bellys this usually gives it away.. I find that the under side is duller if its normal coat and very shiney if satin.

·
Registered
374 Posts
it does appear you doe was carrying satin. looks like all but one possibly two, can't make my mind up about the 2nd to last one) of the white (cream?) ones are satin....but incredibly hard to tell with the black. As suggested only way I can think is waiting a bit then looking at the belly, does seem to show much better there.

Vi x

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
WillowDragon said:
What I've found is that satin blacks have lighter looking bellies hehe

Willow xx
They also have shinier vent hairs, although from the looks of that black (he sure is dark!) there may not be any! :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
there were 3 satins in my litter, 2 does and 1 buck. ;)

the black one wasn't satin, but she is really dark, this photo is 2 days old

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Did the black one have the end of her tail sucked off?

That's what mine look like whenever as babies their siblings mistake the end of a tail for momma's nipple. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts