Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
3,476 Posts
EXACTLY the same thing happened to one of my Abyssinian dams once - and I never saw a repeat of it! She's fine and her kittens are fine. It was pretty scary though with the screaming and throwing herself about followed by totally comatose behaviour. When she collapsed I picked her up, wondering if I should cull her (I cull suffering animals INSTANTLY, I never wait) and she just lay totally still on my hand. However, I was worried about the kittens she was nursing so I put her back in her cage, thinking I'd do the deed if she hadn't improved by bed time. She just lay in the position I'd put her in, still totally motionless. Then, after a few minutes, she picked herself herself up, washed her face and started eating her supper.

Sarah xxx

· Premium Member
3,476 Posts
Not yet, she's currently resting. I will be breeding her again though. Obviously, if it happens to her again or any of her offspring I will remove all directly related mice from my line, but I see no reason to discontinue her at this time.

I don't expect to see it again to be honest, I reckon it was stress related. Next time, she'll be an experienced mother and should be much more relaxed.

Sarah xxx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.