Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently imported some mice from all over Europe, including two red (Ay/A b/b) bucks.

Both bucks are between 8-12 weeks old. I want to breed them soon because I have read that reds are difficult to breed as they get older.

The reason I ask here is that red is a very uncommon variety in the US and there are fewer than five people who have them. I don't want to lose them like I have heard of other US fanciers doing. I know not to breed them to any varieties that may mask red (such as recessive yellow or brindle), which has been a problem with US fanciers before: they lost the dominant red allele all together because they didn't breed selectively enough.

The only varieties I'm going to be breeding my current reds to are agouti, chocolate, cinnamon, and perhaps PE varieties.

So here are my questions in particular:

Does "breed them young" apply to both males and females? In other words, do males get fat and stop breeding too? Do old male reds still breed?
How easy/hard is it to lose the deep red color? Mine are VERY red, and I don't want them to turn pale gold or yellow like I've seen other reds do.
How do English breeders deal with red does? Do you breed them at all? I've heard different things.
How do female reds who are bred fare as mothers?

Thanks, y'all! :)

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I have had several red and red based males... and none of them have had any trouble producing. Infact Ghost, my red based cream buck went to another breeder at six months old and last i heard was still producing very good sized litters on girls and he's over a year old, and quite a fattie.

Girls however I don't have as much experience with, i have only bred dominant red girls a few times, and tended to stop once they got the fatness. lol

W xx

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Fat bucks are usually fertile but need exxtra time to git 'er done, as it becomes a hit and miss sort of process. I just paired a fat yellow tri buck with a a similar female who is NOT fat, as he has nice blocks of color on his back which is a first in that line.

Good luck with your breeding; you know we all expect to see results!

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I am in no way an expert, but I have heard people say that they breed red does from 9 or 10 weeks and leave them permanently in with the males, as producing litters keeps the weight off them. I have also heard that a lot of people breed red to red but outcross to cinnamon or chocolate to improve type (as much as one can with red) and help keep the colour fiery red. That's all stuff I've learnt from far more knowledgable breeders though, I have never bred red ;)

You could PM SarahC for advice, she breeds lovely reds and fawns :)

Sarah xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.