Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any clear pictures of a black satin mouse?

I thought i'd never bred one before, but it appears now i may have, having spoken to another breeder, they told me that Blacks are particularly hard to tell apart from normal blacks.

I've got the hang of doing Chocs because i know its easier to tell from looking at the underside, and is now very clear to me, but i now wonder if i may have ever bred a black satin in the past and just not known it :? I find it mighty strange i've bred lots of satins, and lots of blacks but have not yet "seen" a black satin! :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I don't have a photo but I do have a black satin. I don't think it would show up well in a photo though, you'd be better off looking at one 'in the fur' so to speak. Have a look at the armpits of the mouse as well as the belly, that should help determine if it is satin.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i can imagine, with others i tend to look around the inner thigh area, which works pretty well, i'll have to have close inspection of any blacks i get, i've just realised i only have one black mouse left, gosh forgot about that, shes not satin but the male shes with is so we'll see, time to stock up on blacks again me thinks! :roll:

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I took a couple of photos of the black satin for you, but as I suspected it doesn't show up very well. There is one of the top and one of the under, I hope they are of some use! As you will see, although the parents were both show quality satins, this black isn't as he's not black enough :lol:

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
He's nice and chunky!

When i've looked at blacks before, normals have thick belly fur that looks like velvet - non reflective, dense and velvety. i was told to check the belly to see if it's a satin, as blacks have such shiny looking coats anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts