Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Saffy, a black lab who will be 10 years old in August. She is a rescue (who had been waiting about 10 months because nobody wanted an older dog :( ). She's a fantastic dog, well behaved and a quick learner and we have already bonded - if you met her you'd understand :p

Who could resist that face? :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
She's adorable Cait :D
I think it's great that you got a rescue dog, and an older one that no one wanted at that!

When I went to the animal rescue for a cat a few years back, I nearly came home with a blind and deaf cat with only three paws (no joke) but came home, instead, with a schitzophrenic Tabby. She almost shredded my skin, but with lots of time and love, she became a very special girl :love1 :love1

Do you know your dog's back story....is it very sad?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tratallen said:
Do you know your dog's back story....is it very sad?
Basically the previous owner was at work full time and then out all evening every evening so she has spent the last 9 years hardly leaving the house from what I have been told. She wasn't mistreated as such, just not spent much time with. As a result she craves attention (follows me everywhere), but I actually quite like that :) She knows basic commands, although is a bit lapsed, so someone obviously taught her something at some point. I am starting to increase the time I take her for a walk as with her age and lack of regular exercise she gets tired fairly quickly, though she is still happy to plod on. She likes fetching her football for you, bringing you her toys, being groomed and just generally being fussed over. I took her for a 70-minute walk around the huge park nearby this afternoon and then she slept until teatime :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I personally love older dogs... If I had the time to look after one properly, then I would totally adopt one.

I think she is gorgeous, got such a great deep chest and i love the grey hairs! So distinguished! hehehe

W xx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We already are :) I think perhaps she waited a while because she was on propalin (to stop her leaking urine when asleep, a complication of her being spayed as a puppy). However she hasn't been on it for about 6 months now and we've had no problems here *touches wood*. She's also missing a couple of her bottom teeth (one a canine) and I don't know anything about this as there was no history for it. I was also told that she should not be patted on her bum near her tail as her bones are close together and it causes her pain for a couple of days after. None of these were a problem to me - I was only told about the propalin in advance and didn't know about the other things until she arrived (I had to point out her missing teeth to the lady transporting on behalf of the rescue as she hadn't noticed). She's basically a generally healthy old lady with a few minor complaints - as most people of the equivalent age do!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Now that you point it out, I can see in the pictures that she's missing some teeth.

I once met an elderly chihuahua with zero teeth and it couldn't keep its tongue in, so the tongue just hung from its mouth all the time. It was such a strange-looking little dog. I'm glad your doggy still has most her teeth! :p

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She's a lab, so no problems eating :lol: I think if she only had one tooth left she'd find a way :mrgreen: I am going to change her food as she came with her own Morrison's own beef and veg dry food (she only had dry food) and I'm not keen on the look of it. When this bag runs low I'll be mixing a new one in slowly bit by bit but there are so many to choose from! Oh, and she's already had turkey mince here and it went down (and came out) very well - I was told not to give her beef or pork meat as it 'went straight through her' lol

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
She looks fab! Beautiful chunky girl! Try her on the James Well Beloved kibble, if you're going for dried food - it's hypoallergenic. They do one with vegetable and turkey, which my boy loves.

And on the urine-leaking thing, vets never tell people about that as a side effect of neutering (or about the fact your pet will never look like the breed does in the pictures if they are neutered before being fully developed....) - i have a friend who's bitch does the same, but really badly, poor thing. Nothing you can do about it, but good your girl is not doing it any more.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That's very true, Heather. I have never actually had a dog of my own, but I've come close to adopting numerous times, and I've never been told by anybody (before now) that neutering young can affect incontinence. In fact, my local health department has a community outreach program where a vet comes in three times a year and spays young dogs and cats for really cheap. I now wonder how many of those people later find that their animals pee all over the place!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Exactly - there's that, increased agression in males - vets tell you the opposite is true, but a neutered male has no idea how to handle a full male and end up feeling threatened by them and lashing out in response (my dog always get attacked by neutered males, always!), and also a complete lack of secondary sex characteristics, so solid breeds end up looking like puppies or young animals for the rest of their lives. Not what people pay £800-£1700 for! Vets are just money grabbers - they might care about animals when they choose to be a vet, but by the time they've completed their training and owe tens of thousands of pounds for their degree, it's all about the cash.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
We took in an old German Shepard bitch decades ago. She belonged to an old lady on our block who went to a nursing home. Suzy was a fabulous old dog. We gave her two good years to add to the 9 she already had. We missed her a lot when she had to be put down because of multiple health problems. She was so smart and affectionate, and we got another dog after seeing how much she added to our family.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.