Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
righto - from my first atempt at red, there are 2 mice that i'm not sure of, apart from a couple of agoutis, an agouti tan and one pale red, i have these 2, they are such beautiful colours and gorgeous tone, but what are they?
are they some kinda sable?
the first one is a rather cinnamony shade, where the tummy colour creeps and blends into the darker dorsal colur

and the other has the same creeping but in a darker agouti shade

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yes they're sables :) What were the parents? I'm guessing one was the fawn from me and the other some kind of tan? The pale sable at the top could be a diluted sable e.g. chocolate sable. Sable is genetically dominant yellow (red or fawn) and black tan (though other tans would also work, but not necessarily produce the show type sable).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks cait,
your fawn was the mum, and my cinnamon tan buck the dad, so i guess thats where it came from, so is the darker the better marked as far as sable goes, i think they are beautiful! quite the suprise, altho i prefer the lighter one! :roll:

the cinnamon tans parents were black tan crossed to one of yours to ians cinnamon self rumpwhites....

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i like the fat ones :D

so the darker would be called just sable? i didnt realise you could get chocolate sables, i thought it was just 'sable', can you get other named sables - or is it a case of choc sable being non showable and thats how it comes to its name.. hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Well you could get many different sables but show-wise you're right, it's just sable and marten sable. Here's a page mentioning some different types of sable: http://goto.glocalnet.net/natal/mus/ras/shaded.htm

Basically the other colours change the appearance, so most are no good for showing but they'd probably be quite attractive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts