Pet Mice Forum banner

RUB's

13K views 92 replies 22 participants last post by  Miceandmore64 
#1 ·
Anyone know where the cheapest place to get RUB's is?

We are looking to upgrade all our boxes to these but dunno where to shop for them.

#10 ·
I put a mesh panel on one of the shorter sides too with mine, for two advantages: one, so that I could clip out part of the mesh to fit the water bottle on the side with no risk of plastic being chewed (saves fitting a tiddly fiddly bit of mesh on), and two, to give them a bit more air through-flow. Might be an idea with yours too Dom.

#16 ·
What I meant for the water bottle (soz, wasn't clear) was that if you just snip out a little cross-shape from the mesh on your side panel (making four small squares into one bigger square) to make one bit just large enough to get the spout through (you can file it down so that it's smooth obv.) and use the upper part of the mesh panel to hook the bottle-holder, you get something that the mice still can't squeeze out of mid- bottle refill and don't have to faff around with fitting special bits to hold the bottle :)

#19 ·
oh right, but what do you mean stack them side by side? i dont see any difference to ours apart from you put mesh in the bottle hole bit, i have mine like this:

but if you wanted them the other way around couldnt you just put the holes on the otherside, (i dont have a pic so have marked where the holes for the wire holder to go with red stars - and the mout piece hole with a green star!) :p

(ignore the actual bottles)

#20 ·
God my cage conversions are shite, I' m so ashamed of my mouse garage :(

The problem is that I started off using tanks from wilkinsons and then we moved and there isn't one here so all my tanks are different types and sizes. Atleast they keep the mice in........

#22 ·
My hubby is in the middle of converting some tubs for me, I have a question! With the mesh...how do you get the sharp bits smooth, you can only cut so close with wire cutters, they still leave spikes and with the mesh going on the inside of the tubs I'm worried about the mice catching themselves, they really are quite sharp! Is there another way other than filing the sharp pretruding spikes?

#23 ·
As I said on the other RUB thread (a merge needed maybe?) I got a large metal file and filed away until smooth. If the mesh is the close-gauge stuff from B&Q it's quite easy to file down. The 'tights trick' is a good one to check for burrs and snags: get an old pair of tights and run them gently along the filed side, you'll soon see if there are any sharp bits left!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.