Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
these are lovely-- I like patterned varieties in all species, all my current cats are tabbies, I used to breed Dutch and Himalayan rabbits and my dogs were black and tan (a Gordon Setter & a Manchester Terrier) and red & white (Welsh Springer Spaniel).

So is "Rump White" the official breed name and what colours do this variety come in, please?

Little cuties.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MouseBreeder said:
Yes rumpwhite is the proper name for the variety. You can create it in any colour you like, and show it any standardised colour. It is a dominant homozygous lethal gene.
And next year I hope to have black ones thanks to Cait ;) and some blue ones thanks to Ian :cool: And one day I may even breed something good enough to go on the show bench :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
They really are lovely----in what way is the gene lethal? Is it a variety where only one parent can be rump-white and if so which varieties it most commonly crossed with? My instinct from breeding other species would suggest self varieties but as I know nothing about mouse genes I could be completely wrong :D

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
scatterbrain said:
They really are lovely----in what way is the gene lethal? Is it a variety where only one parent can be rump-white and if so which varieties it most commonly crossed with? My instinct from breeding other species would suggest self varieties but as I know nothing about mouse genes I could be completely wrong :D
If a mouse has rwo copies of the rw gene it dies in utero at a few days after conception. This is not harmful to the mother in any way, it just means smaller litters. It is fine to breed rumpwhites together, and in my experience produces the best markings.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
scatterbrain said:
Mousebreeder can correct me if I am wrong as I am new to rumpwhite breeding. a baby with 2 doses of rumpwhite will not be born. The litters are smaller than alot of mice have. I have not yet bred any rumpwhite to self, but from what I understand you will get self and some that look self but have a little bit of white such as white on tail. I breed rumpwhite to rumpwhite.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Still a bit confused about the genetics of these gorgeous mice---if it is homozygous, then wouldn't rumpwhite parents ONLY be able to pass on the rumpwhite gene (and nothing else) and therefore 2 rumpwhites would both pass on the gene and it be fatal? Wouldn't the parents have to be heterozygous for the babies not to all die in utero? I'm fascinated by these mice and would love to know more about the genes involved.

Regardless of the genetic background, these are gorgeous babies--I'm sooo jealous! :D

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I didn't say it was homozygous, I said it was homozygous lethal. Hence all rumpwhites only have one copy of the gene. The other gene is tan, self etc. Litters statistically consist of 2/3 rw and 1/3 non rw if you mate 2 rw together.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.