Pet Mice Forum banner

Rosetted / abysinian gene anyone?

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  julieszoo 
#1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this gene? Here's pictures of the boys (who have better swirls) and then the girls

I would really like to know if the gene is dominent??

See less See more
#5 ·
I'd trust Finnmouse. :p

As a side note, males will always have slightly better coats in any non-standard coat because females "blow their coats" with their monthly (well, every four-days) cycle. The constantly changing level of hormones through heat/pregnancy/lactation means that females of any non-standard variety (but particularly angora/longhair) will in general have poorer coats than males, whose hormone leves are pretty constant. Sometimes it won't be as noticeable and other times it's very noticeable. This is true in all mammal species bred for show. It would be true in humans too if men didn't keep their hair cut short. :)

#11 ·
Well my broken abyssinian buck is in full working order, the two rumpwhite does have had their litters today and the two aby does should be having theirs next week hopefully.

I am not expecting much from the rumpwhite x aby litter in terms of the swirls but is there likely to be any signs in the coat or will they just look totally like normal coated mice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.