Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are pictures of the two tri litters that have been born in the last week:

Royal is trying his best to prevent me from taking the pictures of Rosegold's and his babies.

Here they are:

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The proof is in the fact that I have a litter of three day old yellow tri babies 3 red eyes, 5 black eyes. If the red eyes were from the c-locus dilution I'd expect them all to have red eyes. The siamese marked tris have red eyes because siamese have red eyes; with the tri factor, if it affected the eyes I'd expect the eyes to revert to black. The transgenic factor causes an individual with a dilution to revert to darker shades, not lighter shades. So when people talk about a beige brindle, it means that the mouse would have only beige on it, but the transgenic factor causes patches to revert to darker versions of that same pigment ( chocolate, coffee, black) that causes the original color, but is diluted by on the c-locus. The tri factor does not affect eye pigments.

And red/yellow also can come from A^vy, which are what all of mine that aren't ee come from. I took years ridding my A^vy line of brindling. Not that I don't like brindling, I have a line of brindles that I keep very, very separate, cuz once it gets in there, like I said, it takes years to get it back out.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are just starting to get hints of fur; I am watching eagerly, and will put up pictures again when there's something more to see. Sometimes I think posting pix of newborn pinkies is pointless, since they just pink and that's that. I won't even pretend that pinkies are really cute; they're not, but I guess it's interesting seeing how quickly they change as they grow.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last night I was saddened and a bit shocked to find Rosegold dead and burried in the litter. Her abdomen looked dark, so I suspect a ruptured bowel. Her litter is old enough to survive without her, fortunately, but younger that I would have liked to see them on their own.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the sympathy.

She was such an unusual shade of red/fawn; not irreplaceable as I have a couple of sisters of hers, but it's a shock to find a mousie you like enough to breed dead when the babies are so young. I've had a bunch of really old meeces kicking off in the last week, and that doesn't faze me cuz I know they had great lives with good diet, lots of toys, and plenty of attention. But to lose a breeding doe in her prime hurts.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are about three weeks old now and doing fine living with their dad, Royal. I'm going to remove the girls to a separate tank this weekend. With no adult female in the tank I'm afraid their presence might trigger aggressive behavior, or they might get caught at way too young an age.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
They have big ears. I don't know where that came from unless it's from Hazel, a LH satin yellow doe I got at the same time I got the other transgenic doe (conveniently pre-loaded to emit a litter of tris). Hazel had very big ears, and it looks like her long hair showed up in this litter too! I have purposely bred longhaired meeces only twice, but I don't mind as long as they are healthy. The second litter were all buffalo headed box-butted runts. the same thing seems to be true of all the LH curly mecces born in my mousery. That's OK, I can't maintain lines of every kind. (I just keep tellling myself that...over and over...no, moustress you cannot have every mousie in the world)

Royal is a devoted daddy to his little ones, and I really like to see that. The boys in that litter will probably behave much the same if I ever breed them.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
They are little sweeties. The girls were seperated into a cage with two other mature yellow tri does a couple of nights ago. they are geting extra dietary support in the form of premium corn free puppy chow. I've never used Lactol, but maybe I'll give it a try., I alway give breeding, pregnant or nursing meeces extra protein and fat. Sometimes I give pregnant or nursing does yogurt or soy milk, which they like a lot. the little ones get crushed bits of the kibble and like it enough that they usually attack a whole piece of it and try to eat the whole thing the second or third time they get the kibble.

The babies are all doing well; Royal is with his boys, and they are doing just fine. thanks very much for your concern. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.