Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My breeding Roborovski hamsters have been fighting. I am going to seperate them, but how long do the male and the female usually have to be together before they can be seperated?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
If you mean to produce babies,I would have thought that being a rodent a week would be ample.I used to have these.I kept mine together in large cages and they did nothing but battle.Sometimes resulting in death.I've had all the commonly kept dwarf hamsters and found them all to be fighters despite the fact that they are marketed as social.

·
Registered
982 Posts
that's because we (in captivity) can't give them as much space as they would enjoy in the wild so yes they do all fight - sadly.

I have given up trying to sell more than one dwarf hamster it always ends in tears!!

Robos only breed when they want to, SarahC is right it doesn't actually take very long BUT that's only the act itself, sometimes they wait season after season after season AFTER season :lol:

However, I would say they have bred if they're fighting it would indicate the female has taken, they often chase off the males when they're no longer required ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts