Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I over react to EVERYTHING, but I guess it's better to over react, and be wrong, than to not react, and have a mouse die or spread something.

What does ringworm look like on a mouse? Is it small? Is it large? Does it cause hair loss? Does ANYONE have photos?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It often presents on furred-mice as scaly patches on the rump or between the shoulders (though it can be elsewhere). It shows up as small missing areas of fur and quickly spreads and can cover almost the whole mouse in a couple days. It often glows under a Wood's lamp/blacklight.

Here is an article I wrote a couple months ago:

http://www.eastcoastmice.org/dealingwithringworm.htm

I have pictures on my computer at home that I can send to you tomorrow if no one else has posted photos, but they're of a fuzzy mouse and ringworm infection looks a lot different on a fuzzy mouse than on a standard-fur mouse. Have you gone anywhere with ringworm in the last two weeks? The incubation period is 10-14 days. The most common transmitters are people, cats, and dogs.

Ringworm is ugly and infectious, but ultimately harmless.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mouse in question, actually IS a fuzzy mouse, so your pics would be really helpful.
I am like 70% sure it's jut a weird looking bite wound. It's SUPER tiny, and looks almost healed over. But it just happened to make a teenie tiny circle pattern and I was automatically freaking out "OMG RINGWORM!?" lol.

It really sounds completely different than what I've read about, though. It's probably just a bite wound, like my first though. :roll:

But I'd still like to see your pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Ringworm (and any wound) can be treated with tea tree - either in a cream or the neat oil mixed with water and sprayed on. It would be best to spray all mice in the cage and of course disinfect it thoroughly, but it is treatable so don't worry too much.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a little tiny spot under her arm, near where her nipple is.
at first I -thought- it was her nipple, but it's right next-door. I don't know if I'll be able to get a picture of it, in that strange area... I'll check on her today, and see what it looks like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.