Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a thrift store recently I found one of the paperbacks in the 'Redwall' series by Brian Jacques, which I guess were originally pubbed as childrens' books, I think. The cover art caught my attention, and I'm reading the fourth novel now. The writing just tickles my funnybone a bit. All the characters are mice, rabbits, otters, badgers and other critters. The writing is vivid with descriptions that make the brain light up with pix, though I think there's a bit more violence in the critter wars for me to have bought them as childrens' books. My taste in reading has changed so much, I never would have enjoyed something like this ten years ago. There are also black and white illustrations at the start of each chapter

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The different dialects for different sort of critters is superb, and I found myself slowing down to sound it out in order to get the maximum enjoyment out of it. The poems and songs are so charming, and Jacques seems to be able to turn the tone from silly to poignant with a few words.

·
Registered
25 Posts
These are the best books ever!! Even as an adult, they are one of the few fish i love to read still!!

I read them all, i noticed there have been a couple of new ones out since i stopped school so i am saving up to buy all of them!! >.<

If you want a more mature version of these books, William Hoarwell (sp) books Duncton Woods series about the moles are very good, deffo not for kids though, written from the point of view of moles but very in depth to their religion, cults, nationalites and travelling and adventures, death and birth and the bit in between LOL

But the Redwall books are great, i forgot about them until now!! Not seen them in years but i love foremole! Burrr um by okey LOL And omg the foods in their feasts!!! And those naught naught weasels and wildcats!!

Genius books!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got Mayflower when I was little as a present and I read a few of the series (well alot but few compared to how many there are). I really liked them - I should read them again really, they are really good.

The other adult book I really like is Watership Down.

Julie

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I like Bigwig too. He's so manly! LOL :)

I love that book so much, I have a total of four different editions of it - including the 1978 illustrated hardback edition. I've read WD at least once a year since I read it for the first time when I was eight years old - that was 17 years ago.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My sweetheart of a husband took my want list to the used book store and found me three more Redwall novels that are in my pile of books waiting to be read. That's what I call 'love'. :D

It was the wonderful artwork on the cover of the first used paperback of these I found; the mousies caught my eye. They were so nicely rendered and I'm a sucker for good art. There were small illustrations at the beginning of every chapter as well. And thinking of their feasts at Redwall...mmm...makes my mouth water just to think of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.