Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Yeh, got the idea from you guy's, its a good way to keep track of every mouse who stays and who goes, who's had babies, how many etc etc etc. Ours is on Microsoft Office Excel and its really cool as it updates its self so I know how old my litters are and how old my mice are in weeks, it means I dont have to go to the calender everyday to count weeks :roll:

·
Registered
374 Posts
DomLangowski said:
Lol Vi it would take me ages to explain it, when i worked in sales i used to watch the database programmers and i just picked bits up, just before i left the job i was designing my own databases for the company. So i just went from there :D
is it transferable? Wouldn't mind a version, it looks really good.... how long did it take you?!

vi x

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ive not heard of any ways to mark mice unfortunately, certainly none that are humane anyway.
I am beginning to breed unmarked mice and I plan to keep the does in sibling groups or possibly groups of does from the same lines atleast so I can keep track of genetic trends if not individual details.

Angelmouse-How do you get excel to update the ages automatically, that would be really useful as it does my head in to keep checking the calendar.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used coloured markers, so even if they clean it off, there's still a faint line of colour (I do a stripe down the whole tail) and I just re-do it again when I notice it wearing off.

I haven't needed to do it for a while though, it was just one litter of fawn mice that all looked exactly the same!

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I've never needed to do it myself, but I've known rat breeders that dip the tails in food colouring. It stays visible for a few weeks and if they do try and lick it off it's non-toxic.

As for record keeping, obviously I haven't started with the mice, but with the rats I used a card system and a studbook, and I shall probably do that again with the mice.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'm curious about the reasons any one would want to mark/identify individual pinkies.I can understand record keeping although I wouldn't want to bother.I just put a sticky label on the cage with date of birth and buck used.If I want to keep clear about a specific line of breeding I just keep different coloured litters together so no mistakes can be made and again put a sticky label on the cage.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have been lettering my litters since I started breeding but today Litter Z was born!! I might go for Litter AA but it might get confusing, maybe Litter A1. Any ideas?
Does anyone else record litters like this?

·
Registered
721 Posts
ian said:
Angelmouse-How do you get excel to update the ages automatically, that would be really useful as it does my head in to keep checking the calendar.
Hi Ian,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back... my hubby is a busy boy :D

I have a cell with the DOB in, then another cell with the age in weeks.
in the DOB column, I put the dob in DD/MM/YYYY format, then in the age column, I put the formula =IF(D1>0,(ROUNDDOWN((TODAY()-D1)/7,0)),"") where D1 is the cell with the DOB in.

If you want to know the age in Weeks & Days, add another column to hold the days with the formula, =IF(D1>0,((TODAY()-D1)-(E1*7)),"") where E1 is the calculated age in weeks.

Make sure you format the 2 new columns to Numeric format, with 0 decimal places.

You should be able to copy and paste the formula into your spreadsheet, and just update the D1 & E1 references to the relevant cells on your spreadsheet.

Hope you understand all that its way above my head......

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Just downloaded Kintraks the other day and i must say, that i am very pleased with that program :)

It is so much easier to keep track of the breeding with some sort of database - i also use RennerPro for my gerbils, and loooove the database :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.