Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have all of my mice in my room and it is supper hot right now. Even with it being night time i checked and saw it is like 80˚F i picked them up and felt how warm they are and im a little worried because i have a litter of babies right now and i don't want them to over heat!! They are in a smaller part off of my room...should I put my fan in there on the cages so they get a better air flow? I don't know if it will help, but im willing to put my only fan on them so that nobody gets ill or dies >.< Please give me advice... is 80˚F too much?

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
The best thing is to block out any sunlight coming in through the windows and keep the cages low to the ground.I've got mixed feelings about fans,I think they just blow the hot air around.If temps are dangerously high a fan won't save them.Mine are in a shed and I have a gazebo attached to the front so that no light can shine through the door or window and the sun is prevented from beating on the front of the shed.I put as many cages as possible on the floor when the weather is extreme.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bad thing is that they are already in the shade. I put them down on the ground last night, the and temperature dropped about 3˚F when i added the fan. After a fairly sleepless night i looked in and saw that everyone is still kicking. All 12 of my babies are still there and mommy is doing fine. The boys were climbing up to the side of the cage so the air would blow on their tummies. Anyhow i'm thinking i may have to get another fan tonight, or I may die of a heat stroke. I may move them to the basement. Can you guys tell me the temperature they should be at? especially with the babies?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You will need air conditioning in temperatures that high. Mice can readily survive freezing temperatures but their bodies are designed to burrow deep underground when the temperature starts to hit the 70s. They just can't take the heat, long-term.

Anything under 65-70 degrees is fine for mice. In the electrical blackout a couple years ago, all the people were evacuated from my street and I left all my mice without any form of heat for a week in 5-10 degree temperatures (plenty of bedding and food) and all of them were fine.

·
Registered
604 Posts
point the fan outofthewindow, that way cool air has to flow in to replace it. wet the floor if things get bad as this will dramatically lower the temperature. Shade the roof and front from the sun. If you can do neither of these your mice are in the wrong place, and need moving quick. My mice have always ben kept in the coldest place in the garden or home, that way I can bring the temperature UP and be in control of it with thermostats, but bringing the temp down due to outside influences is very, very difficult.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got my parents to turn on the AC thank god...i think everything will be fine now. I can already feel the temperatures lowering. >.< I feel like the mice...I really love cold weather, and hot weather makes me feel sickly. It will have cooled off considerably by tonight so everything will be fine...still they are on the floor where it is coolest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.