Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I breed rats as well as mice and recently, Noel had a litter. I culled the males and I am left with 3 beautiful little girls. I don't have a good camera, but I am hoping to get a better picture of these girls so you can see what I mean with their color difference.

Noel - older picture but you get the idea of her color. I was told she is a black berk.

Creampuff - the father of this litter. I was told he was an amber.

The 3 girls - Leena is the albino, Laney is the lighter dark, and Luna is the black.

Both Laney and Luna are berkshires. Luna is definitely black. (She's darker than her mother even), but Laney's color is lighter than black. I just can't place it. I can try to get some better pictures this week if I can get my sister to come over with her camera.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I know very little about rat colors, but I have to say the rat babies are adorable. I love how huge they are compared to mice babies. :)

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
hard to tell from the pictures, and coat development in rats changes, but i am guessing a chocolate colour. The dilute black.

depends what the the mother (the black berkshire) carries

just my first guess.

would love to see pics when they are about 8 weeks old.

:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My sister said she would bring over her camera sometime in the next few weeks to get better pictures of them. I'll get pictures once they are weaned and maybe again when they are 2 months old. They are very cute at this stage as they are almost ready to open their eyes. I love baby rats!

·
Registered
163 Posts
the first rat is chocolate, cannot see its belly markings to say what kind of marking it is

the second rat is a pale Silver Fawn, I think they call that Amber in the States

·
Registered
163 Posts
Actually I just logged on on a different computer and it looks Champagne now, it is tricky ID'ing from photographs, I wonder what my other fellow rat judges on this forum think??

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Although I'm not a judge, on my work monitor (which is calibrated to true colour for graphic design work) the first rat looks black, the second pale silver fawn. Telling colour from photographs can be so tricky!!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been told he was an amber by many, so that is what we say he is. These are the only offspring he has fathered. I'll try to get some better pictures of them all when my sister brings her camera. Thanks for helping me out though. :) I'll update this with pictures as soon as I get them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts