Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been in the -real- rat market for very long. So I'm just going to blatantly ask, and see what kind of answers I get. :p

I'm breeding some hairless carriers, and straight up hairless rats. What is a reasonable price to be selling them at?
I know with mice, at shows I've been to, it's generally $5 for a mouse, and I've seen rats at between $10 and $50.

So. Opinions, or guestimates are fine. What would -you- pay/sell a hairless/hairless carrier for?

· Registered
380 Posts
$5 is actually pretty low for a well-bred mouse. They cost more than that at PetsMart and feeders are around $2 or $3!

Petsmart charges $15 for some of their rats, too. I have my rats at $20 each for standard body type (all colors, coat type and ear types are equal) but I offer discounts for multiple purchases at the same time. I have my older rats discounted down to $15 but those go to pet-only homes that are heavily screened.

Its really up to you. Nobody like me or you will ever make money by selling our animals since we are in it for the right reasons. The price is there to show the quality of the animal and to be a good faith effort of the buyer to the seller saying, "I value the life of this animal enough to pay a reasonable amount for it."

Obviously just because somebody pays you $20 for a rat doesn't mean they are going to take good care of it, but as you know, the price deters those with bad intentions, for the most part.

· Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of doing the same thing you're doing. $20 per rat, and discounts on several. :)

And yes, $5 is about the lowest price for mice usually. I know I've seen mice that -I'd pay- a lot for. I've seen some mice sell on one of the forums for up to $25 even.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
When I bred hairless rats, I sold them for $30, but I was one of the only breeders breeding hairless in my area (the petstores didnt have hairless yet)
I would pay $30 for another from a breeder, and less then that for a hairless carrier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.