Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since my first breeder rats all are coming from pet stores it is hard to figure out their genetics. I hope that through breeding, I can figure out what they carry and such. Right now I'm going to focus on one pair for now as I am about to breed them again.

Pair #1

Male: Creampuff
Color: Amber

Female: Nutmeg
Color: Agouti Berkshire

Surviving Offspring:
Black Hooded Blaze
Agouti Variegated
Albino Dumbo
Agouti Berkshire
Black Berkshire

So it is safe to say that both Creampuff and Nutmeg carry the albino and dumbo genes. Nutmeg, being agouti, carries black. So how would this all be written out? What of the blazed and variegated offspring. How do those genetics work? What about hooded and berkshire? I can get pictures if needed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Both must carry black since Amber is also agouti based.
Both carry:
-Black
-dumbo
-pink-eyed white

Hooded is h/h
Berkshire is H/h
Variegated is H/h and modifiers
Variegated seems to be co-dominant

When breeding berkshire rats you can get a range of markings including berkshire, Variegated,English,Irish,Banded,etc. Anything that is H/h and modifiers. So you may get the same results as before or you may get new markings, it just depends.
Blaze can show up on almost all of the markings. They can have an increased chance of getting megacolon so you may have to watch for that.
Theres 2 types of blazes, Recessive blazes are caused by the same gene that causes dalmatian markings which are SAFE and Dominant blazes which are linked to megacolon.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help. :) So breeding two hooded rats together will only give you hooded rats, right? Breeding a berkshire to a hooded gives you both and breeding a berkshire to a berkshire will give you both. Is there anything for H/H? or is it always either H/h and h/h?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I you ever want a rex, or dumbo rat, or black eyed white, or hairless, me and my friend breed rats. And that would be a good way to get some non-pet store rats into your lines. :)
She has most of them, I'm just starting out.
She has plenty of dumbos usually, blues, black eyed whites, and rexes.
She also has some hairless rats, but I'm the one that's going to be breeding those. :)

Also: PLEASSE tell me you don't buy your rats from perfect pets. . .

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If the 2 hooded both carry modifiers then you can get several things from them as well. But hooded will be most likey.
Self is H/H

I bred rats for 6 years. I bred: Hairless, rex, standard, harley & Velveteen in black, blue, beige, siamese & mink.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do not get my rats from Perfect Pets. I have gotten some of my rats from Off the Ark Exotic Pets (they were intended as feeders), and Fin and Feather.

Also, they produced this pup though he did not survive.

I am not sure what his coloration is. He was the only one like this in the litter. Any thoughts on what he is and what that means the parents carry.

Rhasputin, I'd love some rats from you and your friend once I get into my own place (I'm running out of room for the rats and mice). Once my husband and I move into a house or townhouse, I should have plenty room for more rats. I'm very interested in hairless, rex, and black eyed whites.

Here are pics of the parents that I am trying to find out their genetics...

Creampuff - amber buck

Nutmeg - agouti berkshire doe

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
My friend's specialty is black eyed whites. :)
She bred them from scratch, and is very proud of her line!

I'm very glad you don't get your rats from Perfect pets. They are -no good-, and their rats are very abused, and over priced. They have a cage that me and my friend call 'the tower of rat' that is always full of mothers, who are clearly dirty, and malnourished, and constantly pregnant and nursing. It's awful.

Anyways, Off the Ark is great, I've gotten a few long haired mice from them before. Fin and feather is magnificent too, as long as you're going to the one on Broad st. :p
Actually, nearly 100% of the rats sold at the Broad street location are my friend, Denise's rats. She supplies them there. So maybe you have some of her rats! :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my long haired mice from Off the Ark as well. :) I go to the Fin and Feather on Broad St. My sister has gotten all of her rats from them and I have gotten 1. My blue hooded dumbo, Yoshi came from Fin and Feather. :) I was going to get more but I only ever see black berkshires, PEWs, Agouti hooded, Black hooded, and a few dumbos.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got her in January of this year. She just had her 2nd litter. (I knew she was pregnant but she didn't look huge and I didn't take the male out in time and she got pregnant a 2nd time). 16! Her first litter was 18! (though it was her first litter and only 3 survived). She is doing great with this litter. I'm about to go up and count them actually. She is a great. If your friend supplied Fin and Feather with a blue hooded and a blue berkshire (my sister's rat) in January of this year, then pass along to her that I find her rat to be amazing. She is sweet, cute, adorable, doesn't bite, and is just an all over great rat. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.