Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Dumbo Siamese Variberk poss carrying for Russian Blue doe just had her first litter! I'm very excited! She had 11, but 1 was stillborn. There were really no complications, though, and everyone seems very healthy! Dad is a top-eared Siamese buck that carries for Dumbo ears and Russian Blue. All of the babes appear to have pink eyes, as expected. I will get picks as soon as I can. I was just able to bribe her out with fave treats and take a quick peek tonight. In true ratty fashion, she is a very good, protective Mommy! Count your fingers after saying goodnight! :lol:

Any of you ratty people out there, to get Russian Blue Siamese, I would have to breed these pups back together to possibly (since dam isn't a guaranteed het/carrying for Russian Blue, and with the sire het/carrying for Russian Blue, the pups would be 50% het/carrying if Mom is not, and 66% if Mom is) achieve that, correct?? Thankies!

OK. Finally pics! :) Lola's is not that great, as she wasn't thrilled with me about being involuntarily removed from her bubs for a photoshoot.... :roll: She is a very good, attentive first time Mommy, though, for sure! I love the baby meece, for sure, but there's just something so fun about the rat bubbas! I think part of it is because they're so doggone BIG! :)

Pile of eepers! :love1 They're 9 days old here....

Their Daddy, Bartleby

Their Momma, Lola

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Hey,

If your dam is het for Russian Blue you'll have two or three blue points in the litter. If you have no blue points, don't bother breeding any back to the dam as she obviously doesn't carry blue, and don't breed the siblings together either as a quarter of the litter won't carry blue at all so you could end up losing the blue gene. Breed all your does back to the sire - one or two of them will be bound to carry blue from him and will result in some blue points.

If the dam does carry it, this litter will have 25% Blue Point, 50% carrying, and 25% not carrying blue at all. If the dam doesn't carry it, the litter will have 50% carriers and 50% non-carriers. The only way you'll know is to breed all the does back to the dad and see which ones pop out a couple of blue point!

Hope this helps :)

Sarah xxx

PS - Love RB Siamese :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sarah,
Thank you so much! This does help immensely! I don't know what I was thinking! Apparantly not comprehending breeding back to my guaranteed carrier! *slaps forehead* :lol: It's been a long day. I've been waiting for babies for 2 days! I think I have been just overanalyzing, causing my brain to go numb! :? Sometimes there's nothing better than a fresh perspective! :D

And, as I have been wanting RB Siams so bad, I think I have just convinced myself I will not get any from this litter, but Mom is poss carrier....so..... *fingers crossed* it could happen! :shock: :D

Thankies again!

·
Registered
584 Posts
You do have different shades in there Mari, although being marked siamese and varis at that it is possible the variation is due to the effect of the vari gene. Russian blue point siamese are dead easy to spot against normal seal points, as they will appear silvery grey in colour while the seals will be beige.

This is the best I could find to show you the difference, from left to right they are russian bluepoint himi, russian bluepoint siamese, sealpoint siamese, russian blue burmese and normal burmese.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a bunch, Julie! Those visual aids really help me! :) Your wee ones are lovely! Love the Burmese and Himis, also! Alas, I don't think I have any Russian Blue Points. :( Oh, well. I still have a bunch of the cutest little eepers! Alas, I shall try again when they are big enough and breed some of the does back to the sire while still tying to improve on color....it'll be a fun project. :) The flash didn't help, but I'm really not seeing any RBP, just Siam, Variegated Siams, and Variberk Siams...... they all look 'beige' to me....could be wrong though?

Here are some more recent pics....like I said, I have learned not to use the flash, but it was too late for the group shot! :( Group shot 12 days old.

Here are the Variegateds and the Variberk. The ones that look different because of all of the whitel...Very cute little bubs, though!

This one is my fave pic of those three :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts