Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance for all ya'll patients and help, I really appreciate it and have been learning a ton. Here's my latest id'ing issues, and its kinda picture heavy.

First one of my does, I think she's a lilac? I read lilac is chocolate and blue. I also read if your breeding blue, chocolate can ruin it. If I'm after blues, then I don't want to breed with any of her blue kits as they would carry chocolate, right?

Next, figured out my buck was recessive yellow instead of beige in another thread, this is one of his babies from a self black doe. She's called sooty yellow right?

How bad is this little blue? I was thinking about saving him for breeding since his mom was black and he seems to be getting darker with age. Would a mom to son breeding be a good start if blue is my goal when he's old enough?

These two are from the yellow buck and the lilac doe above. I thought the grey/yellowish one was yellow like the girl above, now I have no clue, any thoughts? And his brother is the one I was asking about in another thread about frizzled. What is he, rex, frizzled or a goofy coated angora, his whiskers are normal not curly?

Last one, I got this little angora buck in the cull bin that has the best hair of anything in my group. He has a sister from an earlier litter that I was holding for breeding with a long coat, but not as nice. Would pairing them start improving the angora gene? He was a cull because he's marked, and I wanted to stick with selfs. Is it easy to breed out marked later after the hair length is improved by only keeping and breeding selfs?

Amethyst

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm not the greatest at color ID but I'm pretty good when it comes to genetics and breeding so hopefully I'll help you out some.

The first doe looks to me like a lilac or possibly a coffee. Her kits would indeed carry chocolate but if she does through a good blue you could keep it and breed it to blacks. If you breed to a homozygouse black B/B and do that for 3 or 4 generations you should be able to eliminate the chocolate gene. But it may be just as easy to avoid using her in your blue line kind of depends on her othe qualities like temperment and mothering abilities.

The little buck is a sooty yellow though geneticly he is probably a RY.

The blue buck in my opinion isn't to bad color wise and I think a mother to son breeding would be a good place to start.

The doe I think is a yellow and the buck I think is an astrex.

The last one you could breed to a sister to improve the long haired coat. You could also breed back to either parent as they should both carry the long haired gene but I think breeding to a sister that already demonstrates the longhaired gene might be faster.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Bare in mind that male longhaired mice generally have a better coat than females anyway. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts