Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my first litter i had 3 agoutis and 2 non agoutis. The father is a broken marked and the mother is a REW. One of the little black baby's tail is pink at the tip. Genetically what does this mean? All of the other mice have tails and feet that match there fur. I have been doing research on genetics and would like to know what gene causes the skin on the tail and feet to be different color?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Pale tail tips and feet can be a fault in self mice and it can crop up in any self mouse.

The broken gene is recessive but the mouse with white feet and tail tip could technically be a broken just poorly marked but only if the mother is carrying the broken gene.

Or there could be random modifiyers from the broken which is ahving an effect, but to be honest most mice particularly hobbies have such a mix of genes in their heritage that there could be anything lurking.

I had a look on finnmouse but couldnt find anything specific to your question. Although in my own experience with my rumpwhites (which is quite different as rumpwhite is dominant) the feet and tail tip or often the only part to be wite so maybe they are areas more readily affected by pigment affecting genes. In other words, I have no idea. I hope someone can help you :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.