Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These mice were bred from an agouti male into either blue, black self, or black tan females (6 females all in one group). A few of the babies turned out looking almost blue like and a few look like this....

Here he is next to some "blue-ish" siblings

He did not start out looking like that. At least not from what I remember. Is he moulting?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
I think it could be the moult :)
A yellow broken female i bred about a year ago started off with agouti fur, then she turned yellow, and not argentine, litrally just yellow broken (i was a bit dissapointed ): )

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
He's agouti, and yes, he's molting. Some mice do this more than others, and on some (like PEWs) it's not noticeable whereas on others (like agoutis) you can't not notice it. :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their color looks different from the father though. I'll have to go get pictures of him and the babies so you can see what I mean. The offspring are darker and are "grayer" than he is. Are they just really dark agouti?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Very neat looking molt :)
Agouti can range in shade, so its normal for the offspring to look different then the dad.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They all became the darker agouti color you see in the already moulted mice. I am curious to see if it happens again though because it was fun to watch them change like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts