Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mooching on the reptile forum for piccys of Cornsnakes recently, and there was this person who said she gassed herself when she was culling mice with the co2?Is this possible?If it is im scared for if i have to cull rodents :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I can only say that she must have been very special. It's possible of course, but it would take a huge amount of gas as CO2 is heavier than air so it would need to fill a room from the bottom up until it came to nose level. It you're putting the gas in the chamber via a tube then nothing should go wrong.

I did feel a bit out of breath the first couple of times I did it - but that was purely psychosymatic as I get that watching films like Poseidon or that bit in Aliens where they have to swim under water :)

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I love your phrase Sarah, 'special' :p I agree, it would be difficult to do, and with the small amount you use on a mouse, unless you inhaled the whole lot directly you probably wouldn't do too much harm to yourself. I've never had any problems and I've been using CO2 cartridges for years. I'm still here...

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
It depends what method of CO2 gassing she used... releasing CO2 from dry ice can sometimes be dodgy, and I know feeder breeders sometimes use this method when culling lots of animals at once.

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
I have also used co2 in the past and have never had any problems what so ever, id like to see or hear about exactly how she done it?

Sounds like one of them people that have found stories online and decided to reproduce them. Id say as long as your careful you will have nothing to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts