Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a doe who I believe is a fawn.

1st What is a test breeding I can do that might help me determine if she is a Fawn rather than a RY?
2nd If she was bred to a tan would I eventually be able to improve the tan color in my tan mice?
3rd I currently only have three bucks to chose from color wise what is my best option or what will each option produce? I really like her color and wouldn't mind replicating it.

Buck 1 Broken blue
Buck 2 Broken black
Buck 3 Broken champagne tan

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
1st - You need to breed her to a mouse that definitely does not carry RY. Fawn is dominant, so if you have red or fawn babies then she'd be fawn. If the mouse you breed her to carries recessive yellow then you won't know.

2nd - If she's a good, red, fawn then yes because she has the modifiers for good red pigment and will pass them on. If she's dominant fawn you'll get sables to start with though because sable has one dominant red gene and one tan gene.

3rd - doesn't really make a difference, except that blue will dilute the fawn. If she's dominant fawn you'll get some reds with bucks 1 and 2 and possibly fawns if they carry pink eye dilute, and she'll produce fawns with buck 3.

Hope this helps you!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Where did you get her? The only people I know of with red or fawn in the US are me, Jennifer Hipsley (Ohio), a friend of mine who adopted some as pets, and maybe a couple folks in California although I haven't heard of them having it in a long time.

Be aware though, that even if you get a mouse who appears to be red/fawn, in addition to recessive yellow (e/e) it might also be an under-marked brindle (Avy/*), which is inherited in a similar way. If any babies have any stripes or dark spots whatsoever, it's brindle, not red/fawn.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got her from a small breeder in WI but I was under the impression that they had originally come from pet shop lines. an Unmarked brindle would make sense as she said that she had a lot of brindles (though of the 14 I got from her only 2 were brindle). I'll try and get a picture to post as she has a nice deep color compared to what I've seen around here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts