Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very pregnant female named Big has been doing this funny thing lately - she'll make little squeaks, several in a row, when she is lying down by herself. It's almost as if she's talking to the babies inside of her. :D I really do wonder why she does it though - she never has before. She's also become quite lethargic, but with a belly that big, who wouldn't be? She still thinks she can run on the wheel every now and then, though. But what are those quiet little squeaks she makes sometimes?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Awww! Maybe she's trying to say "Your bet get me a treat, the cravings have set in!" :lol: Sorry - in all honesty I have no idea! None of my girls have ever done that but a couple of my boys chirrup :p

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Sometimes the stress on the body of a pregnant doe can cause that, like the symptoms of a URI. Sometimes it will disappear after she gives birth, but sometimes it won't and it's then you know that she is ill.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
It's probably fluid you hear on her lungs, which is indicative of a URI like Cait said.

You may need to take her to a vet to make sure. Mice are very good at hiding their sickness (it comes with being a prey animal).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the noises stopped immediately after she gave birth, thankfully. I believe it was because her lung capacity was displaced, just like what happens with pregnant humans. ;)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That very well could be. I can't imagine what it must feel like to have your lungs displaced! :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts