Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in law came home and I asked her opinion on the mouse. She doesn't have much experience with mice but we both came to the conclusion this mouse is probably going to pass away. We think she may have gone into labor last night but one of the babies may be breech or might have gotten stuck and the babies have died because of it. We can feel individual babies and there is no movement from any of them. Her belly is turning blue and she is getting chilly to the touch. She is even more lethargic than ever and doesn't even respond much even when I touch her face. I have made her comfortable and will check on her every hour until she passes.

I would like to put her out of her misery but the only way I've ever culled a mouse is by CO2 chamber, which I no longer have. My mother in law suggests putting her in the freezer. That sounds cruel to me but if anyone has a humane culling technique, I'd love to hear it. I would hate for her to suffer for hours and hours when she doesn't have to.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no way of going out and getting those materials tonight. We have baking soda and vinegar but we don't have the hose. I was thinking of feeding her to one of my snakes, but then I wouldn't be able to find out what went wrong (I had a momentary thought to dissect her to see if it was a breech or stuck baby)

·
Registered
584 Posts
I don't think it would be very humane to put a live adult in the freezer, you would be effectively causing death by hypothermia and I don't think it would be that quick. Feeding to the snake would be a lot quicker, but would you not worry about feeding an ill animal to your snake? A sharp blow to the back of the neck should be instant but might be messy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checked her and now she is bleeding from her vagina. Its enough to make me think she might be trying to deliver. I could take a picture of her if that would help determine what her condition is in. For all I know she might be bleeding out. (there doesn't seem to be that much blood, but we shall see what happens.)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked on her at 9pm and she was near death. While it looked like she was trying to give birth, she was just too weak to do it. She was laying in the corner, looking dead. She didn't even respond when I picked her up. She lay in my hand gasping. I culled her and dissected her. I found nothing wrong with her internally that I could tell. Of course I have never dissected a mouse and I am not sure what mouse organs should look like. The babies didn't seem stuck but again, I am not a veterinarian. She had 13. She would have been a first time mom judging by her size.

I did take a picture of the end of the dissection, after I had "delivered" all the babies from her uterus. They all seem a good size but were ice cold to the touch. I didn't wait long before culling her before cutting her open. It was a matter of sitting down in a chair and starting the incision. If anyone would like to see the picture, send me a PM, or I could post it here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't know what she died of then. I know you said you dissected her right after culling, but since the babies were dead already, I think it as something to do with her being pregnant because I have seen a lab on some blog or something about someone culling a mouse(I have no clue why, prob an experiment? which seems cruel) and they took out the babies and they were all alive. Then they put them with a foster mother.

But in this situation all the babies were dead, so I'm guessing either she died of the pregnancy or they we way over due and lost oxygen and died.

So sorry that this happened to you, I balled when I culled a mouse because he was so injured.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are aware this thread is a few months old, right? The mouse was culled here at home. I'm pretty sure having a mouse euthanized at a vet is far more expensive than that here in the U.S.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts