Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the reptile store in town to get feeders and got some live mice (one of my snakes has been refusing food for a few weeks now) and sure enough, I have two pregnant does. Both are albino and are a good size. One female though looks like she's going to pop at any minute. She's huge! Last night I was feeding and watering everyone and she looked very lethargic. I checked her over and checked her back end. All seemed normal. I come back about 30 minutes later and she has feces on her bum that is now stuck to her. I used warm water and tissue to get it to come off. I then noticed red in her vagina. That was about 1-2 am this morning and it is now 1:45pm. I checked on her again this morning and found more feces stuck to her. I got that off her as well. There is no longer any red in her vagina and she is even more lethargic. The other female who is also pregnant is acting normally.

I plan to keep both does as breeders. (if the one doe makes it)

·
Registered
584 Posts
It sounds like she might be having some difficulty birthing, possibly a baby stuck, and she is probably exhausted. I am not sure if there is much a vet could do, with rats at least there is the option of a caesarian if there is one stuck, or oxytocin to get things moving again. Trouble is, if you are not sure when she is due then you can't even be 100% sure if her poor health is due to labour problems or to something else. It might be kinder to cull her to prevent suffering.

·
Registered
156 Posts
maybe try massaging her stomach but this might be hard on a mouse and she might not let you do it.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I had a pregnant mouse that went very overdue and for about 24 hours couldn't walk properly and looked drunk... I decided that the next day, if there was no babies and she still looked wonky, I was going to cull.
Luckily when i checked the next day, she had given birth and was fine.

The only thing I can say is that its up to you, you could cull her straight away, leave her a day or so and see if anything happens, or you could take her to the vets, not that I think they could really do anything.

Willow xx

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know it sounds horrible, but I can't take her to the vet. We just don't have the money to do so. I have taken her out of the plastic cage and put her in a tub by herself. I gave her fresh bedding and something to make a nest with. I attempted to give her some pedialite. She stuck her nose in it but I'm not sure if she drank any. I took some pictures of her. She does seem exhausted, but there is nothing I can really do for her. I have made her comfortable so I guess we shall see what happens.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is still very lethargic with no indication she is going to give birth. She is still uninterested in drinking the pedialite or water. I have given her tissue to make a nest with, but nothing is really progressing. When I hold her, I can feel lumps in her and I think those are the babies. She pooped normally. She seems to just be finding a spot and laying there motionless. If I touch her, she will respond but other than that she just lays there. Wish I could do something for her. I'd really hate to see her and those babies die.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
my goodness she's in a right state ): i had a preg doe that hemeraged because she was having birth difficulties. she trusted me to let me massage her tummy, but then i had to cull her in the end ):
let us know how she is!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.