Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black self female who was separated from her mate either on the 4th of April, or the 10th. Up until a couple of days ago I was pretty certain it was the 4th, but I keep thinking about it, and now I'm not so certain. Anyway, a week ago I noticed she was starting to look a bit chubby, and got pretty excited, figuring she was pregnant. Since then she has gained an average of about 5 grams a day, and she's looking pretty huge. But, going by my original day of separation, that means she's at least 2 days past her due date. I'm just wondering, is it likely she's just gaining weight? It seems like a lot to gain in such a short period of time, if she isn't pregnant.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
windyhill said:
Try not to stress her out too much
That's my plan, but how do you do that when all you want to do is go and look at them and hold them? I'm thinking the next couple of days are going to be a worse sort of torture than the days waiting to see if she really was gonna have babies. :roll:

·
Registered
310 Posts
ive had 3 litters in the past 3 weeks and have held all of them from day 1. if you take the mom out and put her somwhere that she can run on a wheel and treats and stuff while you look at them and hold them then you should have no problem. good luck :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I first got the mama, she was very skittish. She mellowed out a lot, and was very easy to deal with, then about 10 days ago or so, she started turning skittish again. I figure it was pregnancy hormones messing with her. She still seems very protective of the nest box (she'll nip at me if my hand is too close to the box while she is in it) but if I catch her when she's out of it, she'll take treats from my hand, basically be very friendly. So I'm not quite sure if I trust her to let me touch her kids or not.

They are in a homemade bin, and the bottom is clear. I've been trying to count them through the bottom. There are at least 12 of them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is it wrong that I'm very jellous?? :p

I'd love to have babies but I wouldn't know what to do with them (that and I have two male mice so the laws of nature dont really lend themselves that way haha) and I dont have the space.

Post pics when you can!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took mom out, and tried her in a bin with her old wheel. She seemed happy with it, so I opened up the nest box and took a look at the babies. She actually had 13 babies.

Here's a picture:

Color starting to come in on some of them. I can't wait to see how they change tomorrow.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They opened their eyes on Tuesday, at 2 weeks old. I can't believe how much they changed since then. They've turned into tiny, cute, mini-adults. Very active, and entertaining to watch. Colorwise, I ended up with self black, black tan, and recessive yellow. The tan was a surprise. Apparently dad is tan, but his recessive yellow was hiding it.

Here's a couple pics:

9 days old:

14 days old:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! :) I think they are cute too. :lol:

I was told that she is a sooty RY, by a person who breeds for sooty RY, and that she will lighten up as she ages. Dad is yellow, and based on the composition of the litter (black selfs, black tans, and those funny yellow ones), I'm assuming he is a RY. Mom is a Black self, who must then carry RY. I guess time will tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.