Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
The boxes are 9lt for breeding trios or pairs 18ltr for running on, as for the wire the whole top panel of the box lid is removed and replaced with 5mm wire mesh held in place with heavy staples.

Varieties kept not many lol
Most are used for the Bandeds
I also have Dutch.
A few variegated,
Also pink eyed whites black eyed whites, black eyed creams,tans and blacks all these are used for the Banded project.
of which I have in long hair,short hair, Black, Agouti, Fawn, grey/silver.

·
Registered
12 Posts
DomLangowski said:
Here is a few old ones, Ill get some updated ones later

Looking at these pics our mousery has changed quite a bit. New pics to follow :)
I see the Lactose and the dog biscuits, do you feed those to the mice?

Calimero :twisted:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are these type of boxes suitable? This is the type shown on the NSC/LSCM. Wooden construction with zinc mesh. Is this type of setup ok or are there any drawbacks etc/

On the plastic setups what is the mesh, zinc? Can you obtain that from B&Q type shops? The boxes look like the ones you can get in PC World. Do the mice chew the zip fasteners?

Thanks

Soon a home for my Herefords!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Calimero said:
Are these type of boxes suitable? This is the type shown on the NSC/LSCM. Wooden construction with zinc mesh. Is this type of setup ok or are there any drawbacks etc/

On the plastic setups what is the mesh, zinc? Can you obtain that from B&Q type shops? The boxes look like the ones you can get in PC World. Do the mice chew the zip fasteners?

Thanks

Soon a home for my Herefords!
I didn't attach my image, so here goes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
the mesh is 1/4 x 1/4 twilweld and can be bought in square panels from b&q depots.It can also be bought in rolls from some outlets.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Calimero nowt wrong with your boxes at all in fact they were the standard breeding boxes for a long time but with the modern development of plastic a lot of breeders prefer to use those instead, the only drawback of wooden boxes from my view point is this.
I know a breeder of Dutch mice and I wanted to breed Dutch so knowing this other breeder was a good Dutch breeder I approached him for stock.
He also keeps his mice in exactly the same wooden boxes you show but upon getting stock from him I found all his mice bite, now I put this down to lack of handling but when I took the stock home and placed them in my plastic boxes and gave them minimal handling the biting stopped dead and to this day I have never been bitten from this stock.They do get more handling now but it was kept to a minimum at the start to see if my theory was right as I suspected this may happen as I have a huge amount of experience when it comes to mice........... unfortunately not on a genetic basis lol.
Now my theory is the mice were reacting to day light and this has given them a more settled life in my clear plastic boxes compared to his dark solid wood boxes, I could be wrong but it has definitely made a huge difference in this stock.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I use Marchioro Aquazoo 16s - they're the same size (footprint is stated as 48cm x 30cm) as the wooden boxes but lighter and therefore easier to lift, also easy to disinfect. I think the mice are less scared of noises and people etc when exposed to it more (i.e. in see through cages) as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dragonfly-Stud said:
Calimero nowt wrong with your boxes at all in fact they were the standard breeding boxes for a long time but with the modern development of plastic a lot of breeders prefer to use those instead, the only drawback of wooden boxes from my view point is this.
I know a breeder of Dutch mice and I wanted to breed Dutch so knowing this other breeder was a good Dutch breeder I approached him for stock.
He also keeps his mice in exactly the same wooden boxes you show but upon getting stock from him I found all his mice bite, now I put this down to lack of handling but when I took the stock home and placed them in my plastic boxes and gave them minimal handling the biting stopped dead and to this day I have never been bitten from this stock.They do get more handling now but it was kept to a minimum at the start to see if my theory was right as I suspected this may happen as I have a huge amount of experience when it comes to mice........... unfortunately not on a genetic basis lol.
Now my theory is the mice were reacting to day light and this has given them a more settled life in my clear plastic boxes compared to his dark solid wood boxes, I could be wrong but it has definitely made a huge difference in this stock.
Thanks for this, looks like plastic is the way forward. I still think the wood looks smart but it means either building myself or sourcing. Plasticis easy to achieve as I can get the boxes from PC World.

Question: Do the mice chew the zip ties?

Thanks all

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do not use zip ties I use large staples to hold the wire in place but it does mean drilling the holes first for the staples as using a staple gun will shatter the plastic if done wrong, it does give a neater appearance and is tooth resistant as well.

1 - 20 of 436 Posts