Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I do dog rescues from my home. For the most part I find strays or people bring me their dogs they no longer want. Well today on the way home(about a mile away) I passed a very skinny dog with a collar, so I left it even though it broke my heart. Well about an hour later my dogs started barking and I looked out and seen the same dog. it was walking very slow and moving its head funny. I stood in front of it til it made it to me and then it acted suprised that I was there. I put down a bowl of food and slipped a leash over it.
I took it down to the kennel area and set it up for the dog. I then check ot over and was heart broken. He very skinny, ribs showing and hip bones, but its full of worms(bloated)
He has several cuts and does have an infection(can smell it) and has a mass hanging from his chest. Both eyes are whiteish/cloudly and he is missing several teeth.His toenails are growing back into his feet.
I know who owns the dog and knows he has several more, all are in about the same shape. I know I should give the dog back, but I dont want to. I know I can take the dog to the vet and have him treated and the vet wouldnt think anything of it not being my dog. Im torn about what to do.
Ive offered this guy before to help with vet care and food, but he said no. He wants to keep his dogs hungry before he feels they hunt better that way.
My husband says to keep the dog until its better and then rehome him and I want to, but then again I know the dog belongs to someone.
I do have pictures, but Im not going to upload them right now. Im hanging onto them incase I need to show the humane society,etc them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello Windyhill that very very very bad...:-( poor dog....

That what you describe you found a lot... also in europe! The problem is to help is very very difficult and not easy...don't forget the dog has mostly psychological damage..... I have also help a damage Huntingdog, now he is a very activ and healty dog...but it need a lot of time... He has a lot of power.... and i think it is nothing for a familiy... Huntingdogs are very powerfull....i wish you that you can help...

In USA have you no Vet Police? I switcherland i call them...I switcherland we have very heavy and a lot of rules for keep pets...

tipex

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aw, it sounds like the poor dog's in really bad shape :(

If i found myself in that situation, I'd take a ton of photos (maybe with a paper or something to prove the date? Though I don't know if that's really necessary), then take him to the vet, explain the situation and get the vet to give you a written record of a) everything that's wrong with the dog and a receipt detailing all the treatment it needed. If you're going to persue it with the ASPCA/humane society, I imagine any evidence would be helpful but I'd be too soft to postpone helping him until the relevant authorities could come out to see him for themselves.

·
Super Moderator
2,660 Posts
This is so very sad. Poor, poor dog.
I absolutely HATE people that mistreat animals, it's disgusting!

Hunts better when left hungry? How's that work when the poor dog is riddled with infection and his toe nails are growing back in and he can hardly see what's right in front of him. Also....he has to hunt for every meal??

I agree with Jemma: photos, vet report and straight to the authorities.

windyhill said:
My husband says to keep the dog until its better and then rehome him and I want to, but then again I know the dog belongs to someone.
Obviously, your own safety comes first; don't put yourself in danger, but if you felt safe to do so I'd keep the dog safe and nurse it back to health.

The man may be the "owner" but that's just a word. He's neglecting a defenseless animal and as far as I'm concerned, any rights he has as an owner are non-existent!

Good luck to you
xxxx

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh, what a horrid situation for both you and the poor dog.

I think, myself, I would go to your local authorities. For a few reasons really but mainly because, if the dogs owner kicks up a fuss that you are keeping the poor thing and you are refusing to give it back or are doing anything to the dog he doesn't want you to (ie feeding, nursing back to health) then you don't want to be in trouble for it. I know it sounds backwards, right? But it does happen :( If you make first contact with authorities, even just to gain some advice from them, they will have on record the story and be able to offer help in ways you might not expect.

I know of someone who organised with their local authorities, a whole road inspection. The authorities told everyone they were just doing routine check ups in the area (thus eliminating anyone one person being targeted as a snitch) and so they just happened upon a woman horribly mistreating her dogs and cats. They didn't really inspect many people in the road. More went in for a bit of a chit chat, gave them a quick warning on the effects of summer heat to pets, a quick glance at pets and moved on. It didn't cost them much time and no-one got in trouble for reporting the woman doing the mistreating, because everyone got "inspected". If you see what I mean.

I hope this works out for you and the animals. It sounds very stressful. Stay strong and keep your head up. Your doing a wonderful thing, whatever you choose to do.

xx

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in a very rural area and we dont have a local animal shelter or animal control(Im the closet to both). I have called the humane society though. But Ive called them before on the same guy and nothing really changed
As for the cops, they say they have better things to do then to worry about a few hungry dogs.
Ive got photos and a vet appointment today.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For now the dog will be staying with us. The vet is runing a few test on him. The vet says he is at least 10 pounds under-weight.
This poor dog doesnt know what its like to be loved by a person. Everytime someone gets near him, he cowers up/

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Ten pounds underweight can be a lot for a dog. Poor thing. I'm so glad he's found you, though. I don't know if I'd let the owner have him back, either. Cases of neglect sometimes warrant not returning the dog. Is there any animal protection agency you could call regarding the owner, I wonder?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive called the humane society, but with it being puppy season, they are so busy and wont be able to make it out this way for awhile and even then, the most they will do is take a few dogs and call it aday. We live in suh a rural area, is not uncommon for people to have 10+ dogs and not be able to care for them and sadly, not much is done about it.
Most other places have a local shelter, or somewhere else to turn to,but not here. (There was a shelter 30 miles away, but it closed down)
10 pounds underweight on a dog can be serious, but this guy seems to be strong, so Im not too worried.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Two of my dogs are from a local shelter, and I know they do their best, but they are really stretched too thin, and they have a parvo problem. Their policy is to have a dog on hold for ten days for the owner to pick up, and then the dog is available for adoption for 2 weeks, and then they euthenize. Several times, there is a dog someone wants, but because the 10 days aren't up, they have to wait, and if one dog in a block gets parvo, they put down the entire ward. Happened to a dog I wanted, happened to my best friend, happened to a guy who made news in the paper. Sad, but there are lots of unwanted pets out there, and not enough kind souls to take care of them.

You're a wonderful person for what you do, Windy!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Autumn2005 said:
You're a wonderful person for what you do, Windy!
I agree entirely!

I would be happier with the situation if dogs who were confirmed as strays were simply put down immediately instead of being held for two weeks or a month (or whatever the particular shelter's time limit is) and allowed to potentially spread disease, sometimes not cared for properly in shelters. This would at least free up resources for those other dogs who are actually lost, and those dogs who already have owners of some sort. I mean, there are millions of dogs out there who need homes and realistically the vast majority of them will never find owners, so why not euthanize them when they're brought in and allocate the few resources you have to other dogs? There are no easy answers and I'm glad I don't work in a shelter and I don't have to make the decisions.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Jack Garcia said:
I would be happier with the situation if dogs who were confirmed as strays were simply put down immediately instead of being held for two weeks or a month (or whatever the particular shelter's time limit is) and allowed to potentially spread disease, sometimes not cared for properly in shelters.
I don't entirely agree with you there, but I understand what you're saying. The reason I don't agree is that I got two wonderful dogs that managed to miss being hit with parvo, and they were both strays that were on death row. One was abused by men, judging by the fact that when we first got her, my mom and I could safely handle her, but she was terrified of my dad. Now, a year and a half later, she is okay with my dad, but still leery of strangers, but absolutely loyal and smart. The other we got is a true gold mine. She is the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever met. Her goal in life is to lay on everyone's lap, and she is so trusting that she's fallen off people's laps because she got so relaxed she just fell and didn't catch herself.

There are no easy answers and I'm glad I don't work in a shelter and I don't have to make the decisions.
Yeah, you're absolutely right there. It's heart break all around. One of my coworkers is heavily involved in rescue, and more than once I've seen her break down in tears because she can't save them all. She has a poem posted on her office by Janine Allen:
I rescued a human today.

Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering
apprehensively into the kennels.

I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her. I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid.

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident
I had in the back of my cage.

I didn't want her to know that I hadn't
been walked today. Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy
and I didn't want her to think poorly of them.

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about
my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make
a difference in someone's life.

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.

I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her.

Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship.

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.

Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms. I would promise to keep her safe. I would promise to always be by her side.

I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.

I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.

So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.

I rescued a human today.
Makes tears come to my eyes everytime I read it because I've been rescued twice by kennel dogs.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Your story is very touching but anecdotal. I'm addressing the issue on a wider scale.

It's curious how it seems that people around the world become more emotionally attached to dogs than just about any other animal. I don't know anyone (myself included) who, upon seeing a basketful of week-old puppies, would not immediately feel their heart warm inside. This nearly universal deep personal investment in the dog makes the tragic situation of overcrowding, homeless dogs, and underfunded shelters all the more problematic because tough solutions that might otherwise have a big impact (such as euthanizing more dogs) are too-often shut down by very well-meaning people who are blinded by their own very strong emotional attachment. The thought of killing dogs is heart-wrenching, to be sure, but there is no more realistic alternative. You're never going to get every person in the country to adopt and properly care for one dog, much less five or ten: the Human Society says 3-4 million dogs and cats are put to sleep every year already in the US.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks you guys.
I dont have my dogs put to sleep (unless theres a good reason to) but I am 1 person and can only bring home so mnay at a time, and theres days when I drive home and see a dog on the side of the road and I cant pick it up. Its so sad. I understand fully why shelters put dogs down, but its still sad. The shelter that used to be open near here started off as a No Kill shelter, but they ran out of room and the dogs started going crazy from being locked in the kennels all day for months at a time, so they set a time limit (I think a month) and then started putting the dogs down.
Ive have unwanted dogs of all types, including a hairless dog(who was kept outside all year long till I got him) and you would be suprised at how hard it can be to place even the cutest/sweetest dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
What did the humane society suggest when you called them? Sounds to me like that collar might just "fall" off :lol: Then you can take him to the vet and get them to scan for a microchip (mine do this for free). If he doesn't have one you could always play dumb if caught (you'd have to retake the pics with no collar though) ;) I can't imagine someone who let him get into that state will spend a huge amount of time looking for him.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.