Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a video of Pongo

I am a complete newb when it comes to the genetics and all that colouring and varieties jazz. From looking around the forum I guess he's considered a broken black? His girlfriend, Purty looks the same as him so I'm gonna guess that whatever he is considered, she is as well. Although I did not purchase them from the same place :roll:

Thanks in advance :p I'm just curious to know. I'm expecting to have a litter from them in a couple of weeks. So what can I expect to get from them? I know it's going to all depend what's in their genetics but any guesses? Probably look like their mother and father maybe some plain whites? I'm just hoping none of them have red eyes... It freaks me out! :lol:

Thanks again guys. :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rhasputin
I'm not sure what happened but when I got him, it was like that. It has healed a lot since. My guess is that he's gotten into a fight with another mouse because he is also missing a toe and it looks like he has been bitten on his belly because he has a little patch of missing fur.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Alrighty. If you think it's a bite, that's okay. But if it's kinked, it could be a genetic problem. Keep an eye out in your litter, and make sure none of the babies have kinked tails or missing toes or anything weird like that.

He looks like a broken black to me. :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rhasputin
Yeah it's definitely not a kink because there's a scab there =/ Up close you can tell another mouse beat him up pretty bad. At the store they had him in the back by himself to let his tail heal. But thank you!!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Looks like he had it rough! Good thing you have him now so he can't get anymore injuries! (Looks like his tail tip has long since been bitten off too and well-healed).

If he and his "girlfriend" are the same color, I would just expect more "Broken" Blacks, not knowing much about what recessive they may carry.

Good luck with them!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
He is a handsome broken black :)
He doesnt look like his tail is kinked, only bitten (common in from mice petstores,etc)
You'll probly end with lots of babies that look like the parents, unless they both carry the same recessives.
Good Luck :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
windyhill
thank you. im hoping i get really luck and get at least one baby with some color to it, other than black

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
if you just end up with blacks, you can always try breeding 2 siblings together and seeing what you get.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
windyhill
Breeding 2 blacks could give me something with a color other thank black/white? Sorry I don't know much about all this but I am learning! :lol: I know it all depends on their genetics

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
If you breed 2 siblings together they will both carry the same recessives and then you should end up with a litter with more then black in it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Your welcome.
And of course the aprents both mightg carry the same recessives and you might not have to breed siblings. Good luck :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
HEYYY :D
I always get excited when I see more cow mice!!I can help you with the genetics a little because I have had my own cow mice. Usually they have something recessive that may show up in the babies, but show me when you have babies and i will help you map their genetics out :] Pongo looks like he has had a rough life until you picked him up, but looks like he has it good now! Not only does he not have to worry about bullies but he has a nice gf. It doesn't look like he is taking it too hard in the video :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:D That would be awesome if you could help me out with the genetics because I know nothing about that stuff. And I'd love to eventually have some with some color in them. Yeah Pongo I think did haven it rough but I think he's pretty happy now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts