Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Looks like a sooty red to me with bad molt patterns.

Do you know the genetic history? Sometimes what they look like and what they actually are is not the same at all! lol

W xx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SarahY said:
Yep, he's moulting. He'll be a smooth colour all over soon. I reckon he's a sooty red too, but his colour is quite far from the standard so I'm not sure as I've only seen show reds.

Sarah xxx
he,s already a matured breeder, the parents are (buck is cinnamon) (Doe is coffee)...
and what do you mean moulting...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SarahY said:
Well, then he's not a red because one of the parents would have to be red or fawn.

Moulting is when the new hair grows through and the old hair falls out, it shows as a line of different colour just like your mouse :)

Sarah xxx
this one is different from their siblings, these is not a banded...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SarahY said:
I think you've misunderstood me and I don't know how to explain moulting any clearer :oops:

Banded is a white marking, moulting is when new hair grows. The new hair is a slightly different colour, which is why you get a line in the fur.

Sarah xxx
I understand what your saying about moulting, and i think this one is not in moulting period, he's already breeder...i'll show you another images...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cedrik04 said:
SarahY said:
I think you've misunderstood me and I don't know how to explain moulting any clearer :oops:

Banded is a white marking, moulting is when new hair grows. The new hair is a slightly different colour, which is why you get a line in the fur.

Sarah xxx
I understand what your saying about moulting, and i think this one is not in moulting period, he's already breeder...i'll show you another images...

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Mice moult there fur all there lifes, females can molt several times a month, a males not as often.

They moult as adults just as they do as babies.

And I would say then that this guy is a very odd shade of chocolate/mock chocolate then... though it may just look odd from the lighting. He definately not ticked as far as I can see.

W xx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cedrik04 said:
cedrik04 said:
SarahY said:

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Some mice molt parallel to weather changes, regardless as to how old they are. I have one old lady who's 20 months old and is currently molting because spring is (FINALLY!) here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack Garcia said:
Some mice molt parallel to weather changes, regardless as to how old they are. I have one old lady who's 20 months old and is currently molting because spring is (FINALLY!) here.
but sir we are a tropical country, we don't have a four season weather, i don't know if our weather affect the color coating of my mice...i have a big colony of mice but this one is the only different...and came from a parent of coffee and light chocolate..
thank you for reply...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Was that mouse born that color and had that same pattern his whole life or has he changed color recently? If he's just changed color recently then he's molting like everyone has been trying to explain. Molting can go mostly unnoticed in some colored mice, I don't have any mice in my colony that I have seen molt, but they still do.

This is off of Wikipedia:
Molting also known as shedding in canids , as in all mammals, is thought to be due to fluctuations in the amount of melatonin secreted by their pineal gland in response to seasonal sunlight variations. It has nothing to do with seasonal temperature variations. This seasonality in shed pattern is most preserved in Arctic breeds of dogs that shed twice a year, other breeds now shed year round.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.