Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I really hope some can advise me!

I had to cull a cage of 5 week old abyssinians today due to what can only be described as tailrot. Please see picture below:

Can anyone identify this nasty condition?!

Here's everything I know:
1) This (so far) has been contained to one cage of mice containing 2x adult does and 5x 5 week old kittens.
2) Their neighbouring cages (including a second cage of 2x adult does and 6x 5 week old kittens, also abyssinians) have normal tails.
3) I clean my cages out every three days, so they are not standing on particularly dirty bedding.
4) They are bedded on woodshavings and hay, always have been and so are all of my mice.
5) Nothing in the diet has changed, I'm still working through the exact same mix I made up about a month ago, and I don't feed treats. I do feed the kittens up with bread mash, porridge, EMP, etc, but all my kittens get these things.
5) The mice afflicted seemed otherwise healthy and were behaving normally.
6) Whatever it is, is seems to be touch-contagious rather than airborn. The picture shows the worst case, but all of the other mice in the box had varying degrees of it.
7) It's come on VERY quickly, within a couple of days at most.

I have kept mice and rats for 20 years and have never seen anything like this. I would appreciate it if people don't speculate and only reply if they KNOW what this is. I hope no-one takes this the wrong way (you know I love everyone on here :D ) but I am worried enough already and a whole list of things it might be will just worry me more. Hope you all understand.

I'm just praying it doesn't wipe out my doves :cry:

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Oh lord, I have never seen anything like that before! I will definately have a look around and see if I can find out anything!

If you feel the need, my mousery is always open to house some of your doves.

W xx

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Geez..that is really ugly and awful..it doesn't look anyting like tail problems my meeces have had. Cold tissue disease comes on very slowly and usually stops with treatment of antibiotics and anti-mange combined. I had to amputate half a tail on my best tri doe a couple of weeks ago, but with her, it think was a scratch that she worried at, and the tail was quite quite dry pup to point at which I clipped it. She barely bled at all and didn't seem to feel any pain. And it made no difference to me or her to lose that part of her tail, as I don't show.

Could it be a fungal infection? Or maybe a problem with the changes in epithelial tissue. I only ask that becasue I have noticed a tendency to skin and eye problems in the few curlies that have shown up randomly in my mousery. What about ringworm, with limited area on the tail, it might not present the same as on other skin areas.

Don't mean to overwhelm you with what might be pointless advice, I just hate seeing anyone going through something lkie this. I hope you can get some sort of postmortem, if only saving a sample of tissue until you can get a good look at it. I keep telling my self that I need to get a basic dissection set-up, and a microscope, so I can so this sort of thing. I always want to know more!

Scary stuff: *hug*

*edit* Am I just imagining that it is affecting the area around the anus and the soles of the rear feet? Godz, I hope it's not a virus....

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Am I just imagining that it is affecting the area around the anus and the soles of the rear feet?
Yes you are imagining it, the rest of the mouse was fine. My phone doesn't take particularly good pictures, unfortunately.

I know of a LOT of things it could be, but I want to know what it is and (more to the point) whether my doves are in danger. I will be taking a tissue sample to the vet, but by the time the results come back it could have spread.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to sound mean and I know you're only trying to help but, as I asked in my original post, please stop speculating :( I know it could be fungal, or a virus, or a ton of other things. I have already spent hours going through my old notes from years back, reading mouse and rat care books, and trawling the internet. I know of loads of things it could be, but this doesn't help me and I am worried enough.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
She got back to me rather quickly and said she's never seen it before. I'm really sorry. I hope things work out.

I'm calling another friend of mine with many years of experience to see if she has any idea.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Jack :)

I had a quick look on my way out to work this morning and there don't seem to be any new cases.

Something I forgot to mention in my original list was that I haven't handled mice (or any other animals) other than my own for at least a couple of weeks, and the only new stock I have is two black bucks that I picked up on the 1st of May. These two guys are fine (at the moment).

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I had a case that looked similar to this a while ago. I have no idea what caused it but I do know how I fixed it. It was nowhere near as bad as the photo you have posted, but applying Johnson's tea tree cream for small animals to the tail daily did the trick and it didn't spread. Pity you hadn't discovered this yesterday or you could have taken my pot home with you when you were here! It's cheap to buy though, I'm sure it was less than £4 when I last bought some.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If it's not too much hassle, I would apply it to everybody, starting with the unaffected ones, then working your way to the sick ones. That's what I did when I had ringworm (which is a fungus and is affected by tea tree oil as well).

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.