Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one for Steve really, and maybe sarahc if she is on this bit of the forum. When you cull your mice under the age of about 12 days, are there any tricks you use to make sure it works every time? Obviously all you usually hear is 'chuck em at a hard surface' which is not really too helpful. Do you hold them a special way or avoid doing it a certain way for example? Also what are the pros and cons, what's it like etc?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lay them along your index finger right side up with the head pointing away from you then throw down hard on the floor so the back of the head and neck hits first.

If your confident with it you can knock out a few at a time as in all rejects from one nest just throw very hard, ok a few in your hand at once won't all land perfect hence why you must be positive and very firm.
Do not do the hold by the tail and spin and smack on a table with young mice as sometimes a tail will snap resulting in a failed cull.

The only draw back is chunky pups sometimes pop so if your squeamish it's not gonna be right for you.

Hope this helps if not...... shout

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not squeamish but I still think that's disgusting :p I can just imagine having to clean mouse splat off the floor, yum. So if you cull this way are the mice then still ok for reptile food - they don't get too damaged?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not many pop but the ones that do are wrapped and sent to the bin others are fine for reptile use. normal bigger mice never pop ...well not happened yet anyway..
After a while you do develop a technique which uses a lot less force but is just as effective with minimal popping.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i agree with this, my sister throws the really young ones at the floor and always onto concrete if poss. if you do the young ones on the table edge they can come apart suprisingly easily which is very gross.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What height do you throw from, normal standing height or lower? Still don't know if I can trust myself to do it but no harm in finding out how to do it properly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
normal standing height, arm up over you then bring it down quickly and release, kind of the way you'd throw those noise snaps :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts