Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The runt in this litter, who I thought was a standard PEW, seems to be a bit darker than the other mouse in the photo, who is deffinately a PEW. The pics make it a little darker than in person, but what would you call the little mouse? :)

I know SOMEONE just recently made a post on one of these forums about the different shades. . . but I can't remember who or where, or what forum. :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
That's not just a runt. That's a "peanut."

Sometimes they look darker because their fur isn't as healthy and the mother isn't cleaning it properly since she knows the mouse is likely to die.

What are the parents? That'll help determine color...

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a random throw out from a brindle black&tan pairing. I was planning on culling the next runt I got, and preserving it for future reference, and I figured this litter would be a great opertunity to do that, since the runt was PEW, and there was another PEW, but now I'm interested in finding out what colour the PE-Something is before I cull the litter down some more. I just let him keep going because I was interested in seeing what colour he/she was. :roll:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Rhasputin said:
Exscuse me, but he is certainly not suffering. :/
He probably is. Most babies who fail to thrive like this one have something terribly wrong (whether in humans or mice). They don't generally last past weaning.

·
Registered
382 Posts
To be quite honest, they all look ruffly and hunched, but that tiny baby is definitely not being cared for the same as his siblings. He is not a special color, he is dirty and sickly. You should really consider putting him out of his misery.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't plan on keeping him for a couple of weeks.
Like I said, I plan on culling him, along with the PEW. Did you miss where I said that? Both of you?

I was just interested in what colour he was, and I don't think people would appreciate me posting pictures of dead mice, asking what colour they are. He's not dirty. It's the colour of his fur. If you're not going to help me identify it, or listen to what I'm -saying- then just stop posting. :/

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
You can't post pictures of an obviously sick, under-developed, malnourished mouse on a forum and expect people not to comment! :p

To answer your question: he is PEW. He is oily and brown because his mother probably senses he is unwell and isn't devoting the same resources to him that she is to the others. She's not cleaning, grooming, or feeding him the same, most likely.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He really isn't as tiny as he looks in the pictures. He looks, in the pictures, like he's only half the size of the other mouse, but it's really just positioning. If he was THAT bad off, I wouldn't have kept him past the moment I found him. He's still going to get culled, and probably today. I just wanted to know what colour this was, so that I would know for the future that this came from those parents, and could pop up again.

It's been an off colour ever since his fur came in, and his feet and tail and everything is an even colour. I doubt that if he was simply dirty, he'd be so evenly coloured. :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Just like in people, illness can change the color of the hair, giving a yellowy brown tint to the hair and also the whites of the eyes.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm saying that, as I -own- the mouse, and have seen, and handled him in person, I can say with a strong certainty that it's not just a dirty PEW. :p

Maybe being the runt had an effect on the colour of his fur while it developed, but it's the fur, not dirt on the fur.

·
Registered
382 Posts
In the clear picture he looks white on the bottom and dirty on the top. How can it be the color of his fur if it is two different colors? How do you expect us to judge the color from the photos if the photos aren't an accurate representation of the mouse?

Do you not have any background on the parents? It is hard to make a guess without any information to base it on since his condition is so poor.
(Condition can greatly affect the color of a mouse, in case you didn't know.)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know where you see two different colours in the pic, but he is only one solid self colour.
I'm SO sorry that my photos aren't perfect, and I've explained that they're slightly off. It's very difficult to take pictures of very small mice without a really nice camera.

How much more do I have to defend myself here?

Just answer the question.

He isn't just a dirty mouse. He IS a runt, he is NOT suffering, and I've already said he will be culled, so that discussion is over. Thanks, though.
But it could be from him being the runt, and just developing an 'off colour.
Whatever the case, WHAT would you say the colour is?

Thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts