Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dangermouse said:
is that the himmys you picked up from my friend ..
no lol I'm not that bad they're ready in the next week or so they've all gained beautifully since I collected them so they'll be meeting Mr satin buck soon enough ;)

The pew's are delivering litters from my himi BUCK not does :lol:

One is the Mum of your pew ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a bit confused, I was expecting ALL the babies to be pew and develop their himi "points" a bit later but oddly enough, half look like pew's but the other half look "grey" does anyone know why this is??

Excuse the pinkies in the photo they were born yesterday - but same mating so I'm guessing some will be pew and some will be grey with them too?

The "grey" ones have dark eyes too - anyone know why??

·
Registered
584 Posts
Is there any chance the "pew" parent could be a bad himi with really pale points? Just those grey babies look ever so much like baby blue point siamese rats, and I bet baby siamese mice look just the same. Seal point siamese rats are a beige colour rather then the silvery blue ;) You only get pew and himi from a pew to himi mating, himi to himi would give siamese, himi and pew. Siamese and himi can have eyes of either colour can't they?

·
Registered
177 Posts
oh 6 doe's not bad... my last litter was 8 babys, and i looked, that was 7 doe's and 1 buck *loL* verry nice ..

i get a buck from poland in a few days ... Siam Blue Point soooooo sweet ...i hope he don't get ill on the travel ...

·
Registered
67 Posts
The grey babies could be dove - the chromosome that gives pink eyes (p locus) is recessive. When homozygous (i.e. pp [p from father and p from mother] as opposed to heterozygous Pp [P from one parent and p from the other] it has the effect of diluting coat colour - red to fawn, agouti to argente, black to dove, chocolate to champagne, blue to silver etc. If the himy father has black genes in ancestry then these could be being diluted to produce dove. If you go to my website I have produced a section on genetics if you were interested http://www.the-mouse-house.co.uk/mousegenetics :)

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
The grey babies have black eyes though. I reckon they'll be himis and black eyed siamese - I've only had rat siamese and himis as babies but their points didn't show up until about 6-7 weeks. They looked exactly the same, himis were bright white and the siamese a dull dust kind of colour.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
what im wondering naomi, is how the bloody hell did u get the "silver" ones to stay still lo0ng enough to take the picture, i think im gonna call one of my little ones, ping!!
shes a looney :D x

1 - 20 of 26 Posts