Pet Mice Forum banner

Pet shops

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Aly-Lou 
#1 ·
Hi,
Could someone tell me what happens when you take your mice to a pet store? I mean how do you go about it, do you
sell them for a bulk price usually?
Its not that im intending on taking any straight there, just that if I am left with some litter I can't find homes for I want to make sure they have somewhere to go. But I dont want to sound like I dont know what I'm doing! so what usually happens?:S
Probably really silly Q, sorry. I just want to make sure I know.:)
Thanks

#3 ·
In my experience they give you certain amount per mouse, it an be as little as 75p up to £2-3 if your lucky. The pet shop I supply at the moment only takes does (because they cant sex them!!) and will only take large groups, the bigger the better. They usually have restrictions on ages of the mice so I would imagine no pet shop will take under 5 weeks but some ask for over 8 weeks which is a bit silly really I think!

#5 ·
ian said:
I would imagine no pet shop will take under 5 weeks but some ask for over 8 weeks which is a bit silly really I think!
One pet shop only wanted to take them from me at 4 weeks (both sexes) and no older, so I told them no. I leave does with the mother until 5 weeks wherever possible. Usually the younger the better for the pet shop, small cute babies are easier for them to sell :roll: Prices here range from 50p to £2, but I'd say the average is probably only about £1, maybe less. It'll usually cost at least as much to rear them properly as you get from the pet shop, and of course you have no idea who they're going to, so if this concerns you make sure you choose one with good staff!

#6 ·
yes of course. the one I have my eye on is petcorner. quite a well known company, they seem very clean and have a star breeder policy which sounds like they do things properly. I would choose to keep them until at least 5 weeks also.
:) I understand how it works now thanks. I think I might just end up keeping them all anyway! well the ones that dont get homes lol

#7 ·
Ok I haven't had mouse litters before and these 4 were accidental but I do have experience of taking our baby hamsters to the petshop. They willl give you so much per hamster or mouse in your case. You have to contact them before hand as alot of the big retailer petshop do not accept homebred litters of any kind whereas some of the little ones do as they prefer them tame. They may ask how many you have they might take whole litters they may not.

A petshop we dealt with when we had baby hamsters are prepared to take the girls but only 2 of the boys so they won't be going to the petshop as we have the majority of the girls on hold. They were going to take them at 5 weeks some will take at 6 weeks as alot of animals can be sold from 6 weeks old in petshops.

The petshop we supplied for a while took them at 6 weeks old.

#8 ·
I'm really lucky in that I know all my "local" pet shops really well and know which ones to trust with what animals as I breed a few different ones.

I tend to "spot check" them ie drop in at odd times like first thing in the morning or the middle of the day just to see what the animals are up to.

If I'm not totally happy with their care, they don't get my animals ;) It's really not about money although that does help! My best pet shop swop me for supplies which works out really well :D

#9 ·
Hi Maze,

I live in Shoreham-By-Sea and have came across this bridge... there is a real lack of mice in the South and PetsCorner are really interested if you have them atm. They usually do a house check and ask you to fill in a questionnaire which they'll keep on record. They don't permit the mice to be kept on wood shavings and prefer "Yesterdays News" or similar. The health of the mice is really important to them and they will always turn down an ill mouse or of poor quality.

If you don't have much luck with Pets Corner, I suggest you try PetPetPet in Hangleton, which I used to supply a few years ago or the Hassocks Pet Centre, I recently had a conversation on the phone and they are also calling out for breeders and are less strict on quality. I have been searching lots and lots for mice in our area, they are in demand!! A few years back lewes had a pet store who supplies astrex mice, they were so cute!

Let me know anytime if you have any mice you want to sell or you need. I might be able to help you out too!!

Cheers aly-lou :)

#10 ·
thanks a lot aly-lou I actually contacted petpetpet in hove/portslade i think but they never got back to me so maybe I'll give them a ring when the time comes. looks like i wont be able to give them to pets corner if they do house check. I live in student ac. and they're a but funny on visitors :S lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.