Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping this is finally a pearl,I've only seen a picture not a live one before.There were three in the litter,two does and a buck.Alas the buck was one of those flat bellied weaklings and has had to go.I am hoping to mate the two does back to the father but hes very old with a lump that has just burst.Hope he can hang on a few more weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
It looks like the last pearls I saw 'in the fur' from that picture. Fantastic news that you have managed what many have tried and failed to do, you obviously have more patience ;)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
According to Finnmouse: http://www.hiiret.fi/eng/breeding/varieties/pearl.html

...they're a/a B/b C/* D/* P/* si/si, i.e. a heterozygous chocolate who is silvered on a black background.

They always struck me as a particularly delicate-looking variety, but still beautiful. Only one person on this continent breeds them, but I've heard that they (hers at least) have really wonky molts that prevent most of them from being shown...

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Definately looks like a Pearl to me! :D

Very well done!! I have always thought that this variety was very beautiful, I hope to one day see one in real life myself!

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Very pretty; I think my transgenic line has produced individuals who look like this. (The transgenic factor produces a lot of 'mock' types of meeces.) They are sort of like roans, aren't they? Except for the gradual shading into the white belly. I thought pearl ratties were sort of marbled looking.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What going into creating pearls then ? or is it a case of mixing certain colours/genes over a period of time and hoping one pops up??
as ever I know nothing.I had very dark silver greys crop up with a white base to their coat,presumably pearls of a sort and I have selected for lightness from them.The mouse in the picture has a white undercoat but I think could do with more defined dark tips at the end.I was under the impression that they can't be made as such.The owner of the last pearl buck pictured on the lscmr website also gave me a couple of bucks from its last litter before it died.I mated these to my lightest silver greys.The two bucks were black as they were outcrosses.I've kept this line seperate and inbred constantly.So far just two silver greys from them and loads of black ones.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WillowDragon said:
What colour are Pearl mice before the silvering starts coming in? Would just be interested to know! :)

Willow xx
The silvering is there early but the white under coat is the colour that shows the most.A whitish/grey.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts