Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first litter has been born, and we count... at least 13 little jelly beans!
Their mother is a silver-grey tan, and their father is a brindle.
They were just born a few hours ago, so we've just peeked at them - we don't have much information about them yet.
We do know, however, that we saw our broken agouti, Jitterbug, who we think may be (or have been) pregnant, nursing them. Shared litter, or is she being a nanny? She never looked super pregnant, but she did look "plump".

Anyways, pictures soon! :D

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
OMG... can I just say... that this has nothing to do with mice, but you live in the place that Captain Kathryn Janeway is from??

Sorry, I'm a star trek geek! hehehe Congrats on your first mousey babies!! <3 <3

W xx

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
WillowDragon said:
OMG... can I just say... that this has nothing to do with mice, but you live in the place that Captain Kathryn Janeway is from??

Sorry, I'm a star trek geek! hehehe Congrats on your first mousey babies!! <3 <3

W xx
how seemingly random! PMSL :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bahaha i had no idea that there was a star trek character from bloomington... but it's cool!

And there are actually nine little plumpsters, all pink and wiggly and full of milk :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're down to eight now, but they all seem healthy and everything. The momma probably just culled the tiny ones since the litter was so huge.

Alright... here's the first picture of the little pinksters! Two days old :)

ps., they also have milk bellies and are being fed by two different does... we're waiting on babies from one of them!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You should take out that fuzzy stuff!!!
It can get caught around pinky limbs, and actually amputate them, and cause a lot of pain!
Not to mention it has been known to cause blockages in adult mice, and even death when ingested. ):

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Huh... really? We'll definitely take it out. Like... right now.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Yeah, cotton wool type bedding can be lethal for small rodents... I really don't know how they get away with selling it in pet shops really!!

Cute little pinkies though!! <3 You should call 'em Star Trek names!! Hahaa Now i'm just being silly lol

W xx

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my gosh. We were thinking superhero names but star trek may be the way to go :) hahaha... we're keeping a male (hopefully, if there's anything but brindle...) and naming him Particle Man!! It's a They Might Be Giants theme. Their dad is Dr. Worm, another They Might Be Giants song :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
update-

so on our first run through, at almost 3 days old, it appears we have 4 males and 4 females. obviously it's a little early so we might not be 100% (although there are pretty clear sex differences in our opinion). it appears that exactly half of them seem to have started developing dark pigment on their backs (like their mother), so we are hoping for some tans in those. we are assuming the pigmenting for brindle isn't as noticeable this early, so the other four pinkies must be some sort of brindle. thats our guess, anyhow :D

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Kirk, Sisco, Picard, Riker... Janeway, Deanna, Kira and B'Ellana

There you go! Star Trek names! hehehe

·
Registered
687 Posts
cute little pinkys!

I have to agrea with willowdagons post! I really dont know how the wool beeding is still allowed to be sold ! its like selling kids toys with lead paint on it still!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the cotton bedding has never caused a problem for the adult mice, and they love it. but we took it out because of the babies. it's crazy that they sell it as nesting material though...pet stores are stupid :(

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
WillowDragon said:
Kirk, Sisco, Picard, Riker... Janeway, Deanna, Kira and B'Ellana

There you go! Star Trek names! hehehe
:eek: You can't not have a Data and a Spock in the boys names if you are going for a Star Trek theme!! It's just, so wrong!! :lol:

Can't wait for more piccies ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More pics tonight. It looks like we actually have three brokens in the litter...? Which is weird... but an awesome surprise!

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
JustMouse said:
the cotton bedding has never caused a problem for the adult mice, and they love it. but we took it out because of the babies. it's crazy that they sell it as nesting material though...pet stores are stupid :(
It's very stupid. I've seen pictured of poor baby mice with their feet tangled in it, and they eventually FALL OFF. . . ):

Try giving them some toilet paper! That's a good nesting material!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's some new pictures. Tell me if you think some of these four-day-old babies look like brokens. Because I think they do... problem is, both parents are selfs and I'm pretty sure our broken is still pregnant (although she has milk and nurses....?)

broken?

tan? (like mom)

????

broken?

and a couple cute pics of mom and nannies (the tan is mom, the broken is the nanny or maybe... also mom?):

1 - 20 of 22 Posts