Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been sexing the little ones around fuzzy age, and rechecking as they age. I could have swore my whole litter was males, and weaned them from mom the other day as they are 4 weeks old. All the males from 3 litters were combined in a nice big tank. This morning I realized I mis-sexed a female and left her in the male only bin! :roll: Poor baby. So question, I have seen that females aren't physically able to breed at 4-5 weeks, is this true, or is there the chance of a teen pregnancy?
She was also my little rex, are they harder to sex, I never noticed nipples? :oops: Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, dear!...Yes you have a chance at a teen pregnancy. Mice are viable at 4 weeks old, that's why they need to be separated then. You may have gotten lucky, but better safe than sorry. I would get her set up in a nursery tank and start boosting her food with hard proteins, puppy bones, kibble, scrambled eggs, wheat bread or oatmeal soaked in KMR just in case. If she is preggo, she's going to need all those extra foods to create energy to get through this...a pregnancy this young isn't good for them, they need all the help they can get to be able to carry the babies and nurse them after. If you can, do you have an older female that has had a litter at some point in her life that can help Nanny her?

Start counting...23 days from the time you removed her from the male bin, if she doesn't have babies, you made it into the clear. Because she is so young, she may not "show" like normal.

Second, are you *sure* she was the only girl? It is quite odd for a mother to litter all boys...I mean it happens, but it is odd. Generally there are far more girls than boys. You might want to double check everyone. You can take them to a vet and have them sex them for you, or even post pictures of their bums up here and perhaps we can help you sex them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, I boosted her food the second I separated her. Yes, I checked all the new babies to be certain after I separated her. All the guys have equipment showing, not much but enough, and I re-checked the girls in the girl bin to be sure. All my does have new litters or about to so I didn't want to introduce her in with them, but I have a doe I was waiting for her to get old enough to breed that I use as a nanny, there are two other doelings her age in the same cage, I was thinking separating the nanny and her from the others in a couple of weeks to save extra stress if she does deliver, but at the moment they are all snuggled together. Crosses fingers. I'll update if anything happens.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Ooh, I hate when that happens in my mousery; four weeks is just barely possible for a female to get caught. Males often don't have what it takes until five or six weeks. It depends on the size of the males;; if the line he comes from is big, he may become sexually mature earlier. You will probably be spared the appearance of an unwanted litter.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
In my experience its actually the smaller males that are fertile earlier... the 'purposely bred to be big, show type' males tend to get the urge to hump at around 6ish weeks.

At 4 to 5 weeks smaller pet type males can and will hump anything and everything they can, but if you are very lucky, the female won't be mature yet.

Willow xx

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was thinking this morning (little males humping everything) but while I checked cages, and fixed food I realized the humping each other and dominating tended to be focused on one mouse and I hoped "he" just didn't want to hump back, but checked everyone anyway, and thus the beginning of this thread. We'll see. Hopefully in four weeks I can post on here "No babies" and breathe a sigh of relief, I feel bad I missed her. But, out of about 6 litters so far, this is my first sexing mishap. The triple checking is going to get doubled now though ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts