Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a recent litter with some banded argents and golds. However, when one of the gold babies opened it's eyes... it was a RED eyed gold! I think she's rather odd looking, lol. Anyone else ever seen a red eyed gold? I thought they only could come with black eyes.

Here's a comparison shot of three littermates, Normal gold: Red Eyed gold: Argent

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If you were in the UK I'd say fawn but since you don't have Ay apart from a few breeders who spent thousands of dollars to import, that kind of rules that out. What are the parents? She could be an argente with chocolate dilution - I find that they look almost fawn and the undercolour isn't very distinct. Other than that what about pink eyed RY? I don't know a great deal about that gene though since we don't have it in the UK.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were all raised as a colony with other litters and mothers... I put each female in with the male I want but I loose track of whose is whose occasionally when the does are raising them. I knew they were all litter mates though, because they were the same age. Of the does, their mother could be a blue/black vari doe (merle? I have no idea what 'color' she is), one of my two banded gold brindle does, one of my two gold variegated does, or one of the two REW does I have. The father is probably my Argent buck, but could also be my gold banded buck.

She is EXACTLY the same shade as my other golds, the only difference being her red eyes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's no reason why recessive yellow mouse couldn't be pink-eyed too. Though I have to agree with MouseBreeder, she could very well be argente with chocolate dilution. Sometimes they resemble light fawn, sometimes argente but can be lighter and warmer in color. Sometimes the undercoat is champagne, sometimes it is not very clear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So an Argente with Chocolate dilution would be Gold in appearance? I will check when I get home but I"m almost sure there's no undercoat color, like with argents. I have had lighter or darker appearing argents. She literally is impossible to tell apart from my regular golds until I notice her eyes.

Is there a website showing all the colors or possible genotypes, or explains mouse colors? I apparently don't know to terribly much about the topic, lol. I have the AFRMA website, but I haven't learned much and can't keep up. :) If I knew more I'd be closer to figuring out what color she is.

Oh, also, if there was a chocolate dilution gene being passed around, wouldn't I notice it in other litters, as well? Most of my females have had 2-3 litters, if not several. I usually only get Argentes, Gold, Agouti, REW, and gold Brindle... in patterns of variegated, banded, or self. (not sure if that helps any, lol)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, she might be either! It's hard to say, especially since I've never seen any golds apart from pictures.

Argentes with chocolate dilution can be quite variable in appearance, just as regular argentes can. The common features are that their shade is off (of course they lack the silvery shade argentes should have) and the undercoat color is wrong. Sometimes it's easy to see that the undercoat is just champagne, but sometimes it can be hard to tell that there's two different colors at all. I've seen people think them fawns at a casual glance more than once. The FinnMouse's picture of b/b argente is here: http://hiiret.fi/pics/Rrubystarling1.jpg

Just to confuse you further: a gold with chocolate dilution wouldn't probably look that much different. Since chocolate dilution affects mainly black pigment which yellow mice have very little, they would be less "sooty" and maybe bit lighter, just as A^y reds (and fawns) with chocolate dilution are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts