Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
I myself have never culled any mice, but I once had to put a mouse of his misery because he was supposed to be a feeder, but I had him with 2 of my does and a buck and one of them attacked him or something and his intesines were hanging out and his tail and foot were coming off. It was pretty gross D; Sorry for such the graphicness

· Registered
156 Posts
That has happened with a trio of does I had once with a buck. When ever you put another mouse in the cage they would attack it, and one time when I had my gerbil 'adopt' some PEW fuzzies I put them with the does once their eyes were open, but they ended up killing all of them when my friend went to go check on them. And they also did it once with a full grown doe... But I never bred from them because they were supposed to be feeder mice.

· Registered
156 Posts
Peteyandthegang said:
Does anyone have any info on how long exactly it takes the pinks to die in the freezer and how it happens? What temp its best to have the freezer at? We havent culled pinkies up to now but I realise if we were to get a litter of 15 or something wed have to...But ve heard everyone say different things. I too had heard it would be a painful way to go, and long...yet lots of people here seem to do it and say its quick and easy for them?

I need an absolute guarantee thered be no suffering. I couldnt put them in there and walk away not knowing how long theyll still be living or if theyd suffer...so if anyone knows exact details Id really be interested. just couldnt bring myself to throw them...yuck!

Cheers
Well I am not sure about pinkies, but my friend said when you put an animal in the freezer, blood in their veins start to freeze so when they move the iceicles punture their veins which can be quite painful

· Registered
156 Posts
julieszoo said:
I am pretty sure that death by hypothermia would have occured long before any icicles could form....
Yeah I'm sure your right, but I have never done it before and don't plan to. I would only do it with pinkies, but I have no need to any way because I am only breeding feeders for my snake atm so you don't want to cull the babies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.